Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 04:22 PM

Re: A few photos from Namibia

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Fantastic photos thanks for sharing, really want to go now, the landscape is so unique, like nowhere else on earth.
You captured it so well in the pictures.
The poaching is terrible, rhino horn is worth more than gold now, elephants are being poached too. It's thought there may be virtually no large animals left in the wild in 20 year just a few in reserves.
All I can say is that I would encourage you to go if you possibly can. Yes, it is unique, even amongst other African countries. And although it is not cheap, you can do it relatively cheaply compared to other African countries.
The poaching is an ongoing problem, although perhaps things are improving a bit since they have now started using aerial drones to spot and track poachers. It's so sad to see a hornless rhino, even though the intention is good. It just shouldn't have to happen.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Wonderful pictures Ania, I'm glad you had a great time.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Thanks, Jem. I'm saving up for a return trip already!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Im glad the drones are useful in the fight against the poachers Ania. I've wanted to go to Namibia for about 30 years since I first read and heard about it.
Did you go with a tour company or travel agent or sort it our yourself?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

06-05-2015, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Im glad the drones are useful in the fight against the poachers Ania. I've wanted to go to Namibia for about 30 years since I first read and heard about it.
Did you go with a tour company or travel agent or sort it our yourself?
I first looked into it about 20 years ago too. I decided where I wanted to go and booked the flights but because some of the places I wanted to stay did not take direct bookings I had to book through an agent. So it was a combination of booking myself and using an agent.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Looks to have been an excellent trip, fascinating scenery and wildlife so much of which is threatened and in decline.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Looks to have been an excellent trip, fascinating scenery and wildlife so much of which is threatened and in decline.
Yes, it was my trip of a lifetime. I now feel the urge to keep going back to see more wildlife before it disappears...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 09:21 AM

Did you get much chance to interact with the Himba ? They seem to be very in-tune with their environment. Did a quick google only a small population of about 50,000 so wonder how the modern world is impacting on their nomadic ways.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Not a lot of time, but I did meet a group and my guide was able to translate so that I could talk with them. They do seem happy with their lives, although with the introduction of tourism they are now selling stuff that they make so money has been introduced to their culture. Can't decide if this is a good thing or not. Interesting that when I asked them what they liked most about their lifestyle the unanimous answer was "our cattle". I did take some pictures but somehow felt it wasn't right to post them on here. They have some fascinating music and dance, too!
Some of the camps who interact with them do provide some food and water and other items needed at times, so hopefully that is a benefit to them.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top