Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 07:01 PM

Cruising.

I wish I could go on a cruise again. This was one of my favourite holidays - cruising the Norwegian Fjords.
Here we are with our friends Jean & Brian at the start of our holiday.

Which holiday (if any) would you like to do again?

Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Re: Cruising.

Going back to Italy-Puglia or Calabria But travelling as a single? The last time some called me a snob as I tried to speak Italian. As I sit here I`m thinking`stuff them` Go back to learning Italian,go to Puglia next year and enjoy yourself and if others make comment then I give not a jot
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Our world cruise on Aurora in 2012! Happily booked to do it again in 2017, fingers crossed!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 07:24 PM

I did a cruise from The Canaries to St Lucia.
It's run by ARC and attracts over 175 boats.
It was a once in a lifetime adventure, something I'd do again in a heartbeat.
18 days at sea with no site of land, adverse sea conditions and the unknown.
Brilliant.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Either Le Mans, the old town not the racing or Snowdonia.
I don't like people enough to go on a cruise.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 08:04 PM

Doing a Cruise very soon From Stockholm to Copenhagen. Booked another for next year as well doing the Carribean
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I wish I could go on a cruise again. This was one of my favourite holidays - cruising the Norwegian Fjords.
Ah the old P&O Artemis, quaintly nicknamed Arthritis !

Never sailed with her as she was so small. Been caught in a Force 12 on Aurora which was hugely unpleasant, but on the tiny ship Artemis it would have been hell.

Why can't you cruise anymore ?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Why can't you cruise anymore ?
Tony didn't enjoy it. He reckoned the drone of the engine gave him a constant headache.

I believe they used the small ship Artemis because a bigger one wouldn't have got up the Fjords.
It was nice anyway - may be small to some but it seemed huge to me!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Tony didn't enjoy it. He reckoned the drone of the engine gave him a constant headache.
You must have had a poor cabin to suffer engine noise ! But then you chose a very small ship ! She was never for me for that reason.

I believe they used the small ship Artemis because a bigger one wouldn't have got up the Fjords.
No that's not quite right. Most of the ships in the fleet happily sail up the various fjords inc Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia, Azura and Ventura.

Artemis did have the advantage that she could get into many of the smaller and remote ports in various countries which is why many people sailed her. They wanted to have the opportunity to see more places that way.

I've done a lot of cruises and I'm pretty confident in saying that Artemis is not representative of the more standard sized ships (Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia) and definitely not representative of the larger Arcadia and Ventura (not to mention the new Britannia!).

Artemis would have been small, claustraphobic with not that many bars/lounges and a small passenger contingent.

The mid-sized ships would offer a different experience. More areas to explore, lovely large crows nests, long relaxing prom decks, larger libraries, bars, lounges . . . well everything really.

I've never suffered engine noise on any of my cruises. Cabin selection is important though. Decks B & C are typically the best options imo and of course a balcony cabin will make the trip very special and will add a whole new dynamic and experience to the entire trip.

You should really ask him to reconsider imo.

A really good cruise to do is the Venice cruise. It's usually 17 nights which is a lovely long stretch and the cruise has a great balance of sea days and port days so it's never overly tiring. The sail in to Venice early morning is magical and unforgettable and you'll visit some other great destinations like Malta and Dubrovnik.

The Fjords, whilst stunningly beautiful are sadly a little "samey". After a couple of days you realise that it's all cliffs, hills and waterfalls. There is nothing to do at most of the ports themselves except take excursions and all the shops are horribly expensive. I felt it was a cruise worth doing once, but I'm unlikely to do it again.

The best ship is Aurora imo but Arcadia and Azura are good too. Everyone has their favourites of course !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 10:10 PM

I'd love to do a Med cruise, and agree about going into Venice. That was truly a great experience.

Oh, and I'd love to go back to the Caribbean. A nasty cold and cough, the minute the ship got there, put paid to my enjoyment.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top