Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Fear of flying

Do you have a fear of flying? If so how do you calm yourself to get yourself through the flight? I'm petrified of flying but realise if I want to travel to some places I have to fly. My holiday to Spain isn't until September and already I'm getting butterflies in my tummy just thinking about the flight. I hate it and I always thank God and the pilot when I'm getting off the plane, I don't relax until we are unbuckling our seatbelts.

I'm thinking of going to the doctors to see if he can give me something to calm me down this time.

My fear all stems from a flight back from Florida when we hit an air pocket and the plane fell out of the sky at high speed, people on the plane screamed, it was horrendous, it wasn't for long in fact only seconds but felt like a lifetime.

Are you afraid of flying, if so how do you get through the flight.

Thanks in advance.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Re: Fear of flying

I love flying, it helps if your in an aircraft at the time.

The feeling of the power on takeoff always amazes me, it is not often I get pushed back into a seat unfortunately, but that is married life.

First time I flew I said to the air stewardess those people down there look like ants we are so high up. She said they are ants we have not taken off yet

Got a few more flying jokes but too long to post on here

As for fear of flying no i don't suffer from it and taking anything to calm down needs to be discussed carefully with your DR
Of course airlines do run fear of flying courses which might help
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:12 AM

What cured me of my fear was a horrendous flight, such severe turbulence that it took the four hours to get everyone served breakfast as the hostesses had to keep having to put the trolleys back and strap themselves in

Seriously, tea coffee and sausages were flying everywhere, as was stuff from the lockers, it was awful

The fact that I survived that and the pilot landed us safely cured my fear

I'm still not keen on flying, I still get apprehensive on take off and landing but I'm no longer full of diazepam to get me through
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Fortunately I have never had a fear of flying, having had to do so regularly in the past from the age of two.

I did have one journey some years back, which was rather scary, we hit some bad turbulence and it was clear the pilot and cabin staff were panicking. Fortunately we arrived safely, in spite of a very rough landing.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
What cured me of my fear was a horrendous flight, such severe turbulence that it took the four hours to get everyone served breakfast as the hostesses had to keep having to put the trolleys back and strap themselves in

Seriously, tea coffee and sausages were flying everywhere, as was stuff from the lockers, it was awful

The fact that I survived that and the pilot landed us safely cured my fear

I'm still not keen on flying, I still get apprehensive on take off and landing but I'm no longer full of diazepam to get me through
I can't stop laughing at imagining them sausages flying in the cabin. I imagine people weren't laughing during that turbulence though!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Just copy this onto a 'tablet' and take it with you when you fly. Just think yourself lucky that you're not having to sail the seas darlin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebrP1IfiEto
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:02 PM

I can't even get on a plane let alone fly in one. I have never been on a flight ever.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Nothing wrong with taking am mild sedative before flying - it will settle your nerves.

I had a panic attack half way up the ski-lift on the Nevis range once. It was May yet snowing and I felt acrophobic and claustrophobic all the way up to the top. Nothing could convince me to get on a ski-lift again.

Planes, though, I can manage.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 05:03 PM

it is women car drivers that scare me
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 05:05 PM

Hi

I love flying, except of course with Ryanair.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top