Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Re: Stormy superstitions!

yes as a kid at me grannies - they would open the front door and back windows to let the lightening go through - circa 1940's
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes I have heard of the mirrors one tabby, my gran used to close all the windows to prevent balls of fire raging through the house as she put it...oh and she said said storms turned the milk sour.

Gosh, that takes me back.
My dear old Mum always used to cover the mirrors too.

I do unplug certain things, including my phone line though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Gosh, that takes me back.
My dear old Mum always used to cover the mirrors too.

I do unplug certain things, including my phone line though.
Unplugging phone lines is sensible if you are supplied by an overhead cable.

I suppose that unplugging TV aerial sockets is also a good idea, assuming you have an exterior aerial, although I confess that I never do.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 12:04 AM

I am scared of them.
My Nan used to hid in the understairs cupboard.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Unplugging phone lines is sensible if you are supplied by an overhead cable.

I suppose that unplugging TV aerial sockets is also a good idea, assuming you have an exterior aerial, although I confess that I never do.

I do JBR. If it is a big storm and it is close by, I always unplug my computer, my phone line and my telly.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do JBR. If it is a big storm and it is close by, I always unplug my computer, my phone line and my telly.
Better safe than sorry.

My phone and internet are underground, but the TV aerials are exposed.

I live in hope that the surrounding trees, which are taller, would provide a preferential route to earth!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Lightning bolt struck pensioners' TV aerial blowing up their lounge and chimney stack while the terrified couple ate dinner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ney-stack.html

Donald and Margaret Hart were about to have dinner at their home in Breightmet, Bolton, when the TV aerial on their chimney was struck

Strike left a hole in the roof and bricks from chimney fell on their car

Lightning ripped through electric wiring in the house, burning curtains and causing electrical sockets to come away from the wall

Couple, both in their 70s, were told to leave the house as a precaution

'The noise was like a bomb. A quick bang, but very loud,' Mrs Hart said

Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 12:20 PM

Oh my goodness I bet that was frightening for them. Hope they are both ok
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Lightning bolt struck pensioners' TV aerial blowing up their lounge and chimney stack while the terrified couple ate dinner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ney-stack.html

Unfortunately, that still could have happened even if they had unplugged their TV aerial.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 01:23 PM

I am sure a lot of these old ideas are based on true beliefs, but I am sure the incidents are extremely rare.
However, you could be the one in 10million case, so maybe it is wise to use them...... although I have to admit that I never do!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top