Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Re: Do you ever think...

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Unless I have met people I have encountered on forums in real life, I don't know if they are anything like they way they portray themselves on forums. Of course some people are no doubt genuine, and how they come over on a forum is how they are in reality. In the past I have met up with several people whom I had first come across on the forums on which I had posted, with one exception they were absolutely nothing like they had presented themselves. It was a very unpleasant shock.
I would happily meet anyone from this forum in person and I'm certain we would get along with each other very well.

Anyway, time to switch off now, got some cleaning to do then recommence real life afterwards.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've adjusted my life now that I'm retired, to include some time on this forum. Trouble is; Left unmolested, I have no idea how much time I have spent perusing the forum. I might spend an hour on the forum while having my breakfast, I need something to digest other than my porridge.....So if I wasn't on the forum I'd be reading something or watching the telly while I eat, and like Mart, I have a telly positioned just to the left of me.

But the problem arises when Mrs Fox goes out in the mornings, and then there is nobody to tut at me and remind me just how many jobs there are on 'The List' and before I know it, breakfast has turned into lunch.....
So in that situation, Yes! I probably do spend too much time on my Netbook.

In the evenings I once again return to the forum while half watching the telly, usually I'm too tired to do anything else so it's just nice to sit and rest. Because you have virtually no input to what occurs on the TV and Newspapers I prefer to converse with real people (you are real aren't you?) and these days I obtain most of my news from the forum, and also like to read what other members think.
You have replaced my work colleagues....So for that I thank you all....

The internet is such a marvellous thing and gives us a new way to communicate with each other, you can either embrace it or ignore it, but it's not going to go away anytime soon, and we'd be lost without it now....
I'm real or at least my husband thinks I am

If we all had the pleasure of having colleagues such as yourself in our workplaces Foxy we would be lucky people indeed. I sense you are a lovely bloke with not a bit of falseness about you, I'm glad you are on this forum so for that I thank you, it's a pleasure to be among people such as yourself. I think I like you, don't you so before anyone grabs for the sick bucket I'll be off conducting my busy day. Bye for now friend!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 11:40 AM

Unless I have met people I have encountered on forums in real life, I don't know if they are anything like they way they portray themselves on forums. Of course some people are no doubt genuine, and how they come over on a forum is how they are in reality. In the past I have met up with several people whom I had first come across on the forums on which I had posted, with one exception they were absolutely nothing like they had presented themselves. It was a very unpleasant shock.
Why not keep things in perspective as you would normally when using forums instead of this 'not real' approach.?

Whatever your opinion of posters it still takes real people to type a question or answer.

Floydy made the point about people arguing online and the one thing about this is...you can at least log off a forum but you cannot always get away from someone who is a bully, argumentative or suspicious in your everyday circumstances .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
In what way were they different Tara?
A husband and wife who were the Admin of a forum on which I posted, came to our previous home about 15 years ago. They spent their time with us making fun, in a very unpleasant way, of other posters including the mods. They also divulged personal information, which had been given them in confidence. We were glad to see the back of them, and I deleted my membership of the forum immediately. Whilst the others I met weren't as bad as that they still were very different to they way they were on the forums. They were not the sort of people I would wish to have dealings with in my everyday life.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 12:00 PM

A husband and wife who were the Admin of a forum on which I posted, came to our previous home about 15 years ago. They spent their time with us making fun, in a very unpleasant way, of other posters including the mods. They also divulged personal information, which had been given them in confidence. We were glad to see the back of them, and I deleted my membership of the forum immediately. Whilst the others I met weren't as bad as that they still were very different to they way they were on the forums. They were not the sort of people I would wish to have dealings with in my everyday life.
I think there have been some meets among posters here...but if I met anyone I'd be well annoyed if they then went public with their impressions!!
But that's different...your story is interesting Tara.
Disillusionment is not pleasant!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I think there have been some meets among posters here...but if I met anyone I'd be well annoyed if they then went public with their impressions!!
But that's different...your story is interesting Tara.
Disillusionment is not pleasant!
I was rather naïve when I first started posting on forums in the late 90s. As I have mentioned a number of times before, I was stupid enough to fall for a sob story by a woman from Florida. I parted with approx £1000 in American dollars before I clocked I had been taken for a ride. I am still kicking myself for being such an idiot. I have also attracted two stalkers, which was very unpleasant as they made threats against a member of my family who is in the public eye in our area. I have wised up, and will never trust anyone I haven't met in person and have good reason to trust.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Do people post online whilst also watching TV?
In the evenings I do,as of this moment the wife is doing the ironing I've got music blasting away,ear phones on mind.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Okay, I confess, I am guilty of spending far too much time on my computer. I usually log into OFF, then toodle off to wherever I want to head off too on a new tab(s). It could be Ebay, Tesco, Sainsburys, Iceland, Argos, Amazon ,Moonpig, The Dog's Doodah, reading or sending emails, importing photographs from my mobile, printing off documents, searching for holidays, planning in advance for Christmas gifts for the hoards of family, there's always plenty to do with my trusty little laptop.

I do however, wonder where on earth the time goes once I am on here! the hours seem to fly by!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Why not keep things in perspective as you would normally when using forums instead of this 'not real' approach.?

Whatever your opinion of posters it still takes real people to type a question or answer.

Floydy made the point about people arguing online and the one thing about this is...you can at least log off a forum but you cannot always get away from someone who is a bully, argumentative or suspicious in your everyday circumstances .
I think everybody has got a forum persona which differs from their real persona in varying degrees.

Online I'm more likely to walk away from a row but in real life I'll stand my ground, the reason being that online (to me) doesn't matter hugely so therefore it's not as real as real life.

In real life I will argue and stand my ground as it's more likely to affect my actual real life.

That sounds confusing but I know what I mean
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I think everybody has got a forum persona which differs from their real persona in varying degrees.

Online I'm more likely to walk away from a row but in real life I'll stand my ground, the reason being that online (to me) doesn't matter hugely so therefore it's not as real as real life.

In real life I will argue and stand my ground as it's more likely to affect my actual real life.

That sounds confusing but I know what I mean
I agree with this.

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top