Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:16 PM

MP's Tell their Leaders to act tough on Travellers!

Hi, Just been reading this in today’s news. thought I’d let you know about this update regarding travellers. The following is a quote from the Express.

MP’s demand their own Leaders to get tough on Travellers!

Tory MPs have accused their own leadership of having soft-touch approach to travellers - and called for a draconian crackdown emulating Ireland.

A number of Conservative MPs called for a tougher approach with the most popular option being to make acts of deliberate trespass a criminal offence. The new rules were referred to as the “Irish option”, as it would reflect the tough stance taken towards travellers in the country.

Conservative MP for Rayleigh and Wickford, Mark Francois said during a special House of Commons debate that it would create a “real deterrent” that would put travellers off moving onto land they do not own.
Fellow Tory Andrew Selous, MP for South West Bedfordshire branded the current situation “a complete disgrace” and said “Ministers and the officials responsible for this policy area should be hanging their heads in shame”.

He added: “Threats, violence, theft and other forms of intimidation have become everyday occurrences to some of my constituents and Bedfordshire Police, with an already overstretched budget, are not able to respond in as timely a manner as they would wish, leaving many of my constituents living in fear. A lady wrote to me in June to say that she will be moving away from the area as she no longer feels safe, having been assaulted by travellers.

The Sunday Express revealed earlier this month that councils across the UK had been left with massive clean-up costs running into hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Council officials said travellers involved in the scam were charging traders and households cut-price rates to dispose of commercial waste on public land.

Council officials said the fly-tipping travellers were charging as little as £30 for a 3.5 ton truckload, dumping it on land next to their caravans and then moving on and repeating the offence at another location.
The problem has prompted councils across London, Essex, Surrey, Hampshire, The West Midlands and Lancashire to obtain High Court “blanket injunctions”. These mean that travellers can face fines, jail or seized assets if they pull on to any land it covers.

Tim Loughton, Tory MP for East Worthing and Shoreham, said yesterday, “When they depart they invariably leave behind a trail of devastation and rubbish, which costs the local taxpayer an enormous amount to clear up. We need to change the law to rather than having to point to a single person who caused the access damage, any group of travellers illegally encamped should be collectively liable for fines and compensation, which could involve the confiscation of often quite valuable vehicles”.

UNQUOTE .

HUH! Let’s see shall we? This government standing up for law-abiding citizens? tall order.

Also on the same subject, the following three titles also appeared:

“Hundreds of travellers set up illegal camp just METRES away from war memorial”.

“Travellers who exploited rights laws win legal battle - costs £250K”

“Travellers leave rubbish and human FAECES in children’s play area”.

Honestly, I know we have had a thread on this before, but come on, I am sick of law-abiding taxpayers being held to ransom in this country by travellers complete disregard for others. When I was in Ireland, they weren’t even allowed to step onto private land without the owner(s) permission. They knew better!

When is our government going to grow a pair and start looking after its citizens instead of kowtowing to thuggish, disgraceful antisocial behaviour in this country? In fact, Damn them for making the stupid decision to include travellers as a minority group which has enabled them to laugh at authorities and walk all over law-abiding citizens with impunity.

This country has been turned into a dog’s dinner to the criminal fraternity, all with the assistance of our moronic government.

Do you agree, or do you think my personal opinion is hogwash? Perhaps you think Travellers are misunderstood and we should learn to live with their ways and respect “their ways”?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Re: MP's Tell their Leaders to act tough on Travellers!

Where would they live then?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 03:40 PM

Did you ask the right question there Dex?

Did you mean .. where can they live for free?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Where would they live then?
May I suggest back in Ireland?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Did you ask the right question there Dex?

Did you mean .. where can they live for free?
That might suit them, obviously. However, the trouble with not allowing them anywhere to park up where they see fit naturally leads to having to provide them with either somewhere they can or to provide housing. Personally, the first choice would be preferential especially if these zones could be properly monitored for illegal activities in the same way as anywhere else, although it would still mean that land has to be allocated which would of course irritate and worry locals no end.
Originally Posted by Judd ->
May I suggest back in Ireland?
Might have read to Op wrong, but the reference to Ireland seems to be adopting the hard line solutions which the Irish enforce in relation to travellers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:04 PM

You would have to see it to believe it. In Ireland, in a certain town, Travellers have built their own incredibly beautiful swiss style homes that wouldn't look out of place in Notting Hill. So no, they shouldn't be parked anywhere here in the UK except on official allocated sites.

I don't feel any sympathy for them at all. Anyone who would fly-tip in the next field to where they are illegally parked after charging householders for taking their rubbish away, costing the taxpayer thousands of pounds to dispose of it, deserve locking up!

They just do not care a jot about us. They cock a snook at us, they want nothing to do with us, we are just a nuisance when and if we interfere in their illegal activities, that is why the threatening act starts against "outsiders" as soon as they park up illegally.

How they have been allowed to act this way is all down to our lily-livered government, so entrenched are they in their obeyance of the PC bubble in London.
I feel really sorry for the towns and villages that have had to endure such vile behaviour from travellers. The sooner the law is changed to put them firmly in their place, the better. No-one should ever be above the law, but they believe they are!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Why am I not surprised that its only the scumbag 'nasty party' NIMBYS who are complaining???
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Why am I not surprised that its only the scumbag 'nasty party' NIMBYS who are complaining???
What on earth are you on about now?
So you think their behaviour is ok?

Some of your comments are stupidity in the extreme.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

11-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
This is great news indeed. Please forward your address and I'll let some travellers know you're a YIMBY. Hope you enjoy their company

Will also organise a whip round to pay for a shrine and a plaque at the front of your house.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:53 PM

The answer is obvious. Send them back whence they came. There is plenty of open land in Ireland where they can set up shop. Perhaps, being aware of someone actually taking a hard line, they may also learn how to live as civilised people.

Let's be honest. They are only here because they know we (actually our politicians) are weak and also, more recently, we don't have enough police to enforce the law.

They are simply opportunists.

Remove their opportunities.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top