Join for free
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 03:51 PM

double quotes in messages

I'd like to quote a couple of posts in a single thread here, but haven't had much/any luck with it.
I click on the quotes, then it throws me to my own text box, then.......

Help, please?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: double quotes in messages

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I'd like to quote a couple of posts in a single thread here, but haven't had much/any luck with it.
I click on the quotes, then it throws me to my own text box, then.......

Help, please?
Hello Pam

Click on the Multi Quote icon (""+) (which is next to the Quick Reply button below every post) in all the posts you wish to quote.

Click on your Reply Button above your reply box .... then you will see your quoted posts waiting for your reply
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Thank you, Mags.

I knew it must be easy, I'm just dense at times....well, most times.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Thank you, Mags.

You’re welcome
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Thank you, Mags.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You’re welcome
Oh well would you look at that!
I didn't know how to do it before either Right Now
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

17-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oh well would you look at that!
I didn't know how to do it before either Right Now
Well done Rhian!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:04 AM

It can be very useful to learn to use BB Code which lets you do all this stuff manually as you are typing.

It's done very simply by putting a special HEADER before the text and a special FOOTER after the text.

It looks like this:

When it comes to quotes the header is a little different.
It looks like this:

{QUOTE="MemberName"}

(the brackets need to be square brackets)
(MemberName is any name you want to put in)

So a complete quote would look like this:

{QUOTE="Right Now"} Everything Realist says it true {/QUOTE}

If you put that in your reply it would appear like this:

Originally Posted by Right Now
Everything Realist says it true
Right Now
upstate New York US

19-09-2018, 02:51 AM

Wow, this is amazing, but I prefer the shortcuts. Even though I dont know what all of them mean.

Thank you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:51 AM

Each to their own RightNow.

I like to surf the net with Javascript disabled which protects me from many of the viruses and malware and also means I don't get all the adverts and banners everywhere, everything runs much faster too. With Javascript disabled many website buttons no longer function, like for example the bold, italic, underline and insert image buttons you see when entering text and making posts here. Knowing how to do those things manually using the BB Codes I highlighted above means I can still achieve the same results without relying on buttons.

I would say also that many people on various forums but esp this one, come on and ask how to insert images into their posts. They tend to find the whole thing confusing even with buttons to do it. Using BB Codes however is ridiculously simple. Just typing {IMG} before an image reference (url) and {/IMG} after it and your done. Couldn't be easier really.

You can go to any image anywhere on the internet, RIGHT CLICK on that image and select properties and that shows you the URL for that image.
Just cut and paste that URL into a post, put the {IMG} {/IMG} header and footers around it and the image gets inserted when the post displays. Easy Peasey.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top