Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Leaving workmen to get on with it.

When we have our new wet room installed I've been told to expect two weeks of disruption.

I'm sorely tempted to book a holiday and go away during the worst of it - the first 5 days probably.

I don't know if I dare leave them though.

Would you / have you?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Re: Leaving workmen to get on with it.

Originally Posted by carol ->
When we have our new wet room installed I've been told to expect two weeks of disruption.

I'm sorely tempted to book a holiday and go away during the worst of it - the first 5 days probably.

I don't know if I dare leave them though.

Would you / have you?
Have a chat with your insurance company!

I would say NO. The doors might be left open, your personal possessions are on show, too many risks!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:10 AM

As you have asked this question I assume you don't know them well enough to trust leaving your home for 2 weeks..so there is your answer
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:15 AM

It depends if you know them or not. When I was installing bathrooms I was often left on my own for a week or so because I had built up a relationship with my customers and was trusted to lock up etc. Occasionally, I even fed their pets. Personally, I preferred it because I could leave each day without having to do too much clearing up and didn't have to worry about keeping the toilet working.

If you don't know them, I would suggest staying at home to see what they are like and if you find you do trust them, then go out each day to avoid the mess but let them know you will be coming back.

Whatever you decide,, make sure you are in contact as sometimes they might need to ask questions.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:15 AM

No I don't know them at all but the council will be keeping a close eye on them because it's grant work.

I would also give a key to my son to check things over every evening.

I was thinking of going for 4 or 5 days only - just while the water was off etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:18 AM

No I don't know them at all but the council will be keeping a close eye on them because it's grant work.

I would also give a key to my son to check things over every evening.

I was thinking of going for 4 or 5 days only - just while the water was off etc.
Normally, the water will be off for certain periods of time, usually once or twice until they fit isolation valves but it shouldn't last the whole week. The longest bit will probably be the tiling but with two of them should be done in a couple of days.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:32 AM

No, No way and I put all my valuables in a bag and they are locked in the car for the duration. I lost my gold necklace that my parents gave me for my fifty birthday along with my wedding, engagement and other rings to the swines who renewed my central heating. I don't wear my jewellery all the time so I didn't notice for a couple of weeks but the box was in the bedroom and it wasn't locked. I know it was them but couldn't prove it. Now I remove anything from temptation. Like Purse, money box, ipads, kindle, jewellery, anything of value moneywise or sentiment. I also wander around and watch them all the time...…..Never Again.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Knowing this will be council work that would concern me more as they don't keep a very good eye on anything these days also as they use sub contractors to do their work they wont know all the workers that come into your home
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 11:19 AM

My husband and I have always kept an eye on workmen when they have been doing jobs for us.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Its your home and possessions, it is your responsibility to protect them, so find a safe place to leave them during work on your home,m perhaps your son.

Take photos of before and after the work, it will help in any disputes, as someone who has worked in hundreds of homes, we always maintained highest standards from council house, to castles, happy customer equals future business.

Nowt worse than someone standing over you when working, its a messy business, most folks dont understand what is reqd, however you should expect things put back together each night safe and tidy.

BTW i have experienced every kind of dodge by customers trying to get a bit off the bill, it works both ways.

If you can take a break especially in the initial stage of work, this can b distressing as it can look like carnage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top