Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:36 AM

The Flu Jab

This is from a health magazine today:

"The annual flu jab is one of the great cons perpetrated on the public", says a leading academic, "and is designed to drive up drug company revenues through a government-approved scaremongering campaign.
The vaccines aren't very effective and they cause more side-effects than government agencies admit", says Peter Doshi, a postdoctural fellow at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
"Demand for the annual flu jab is driven entirely by government health warnings emphasizing that seasonal flu is a serious disease with complications, and that the vaccine is a risk-free life saver".
To support the last claim, the US government has cited studies suggesting the vaccine reduces the risk of death from flu by 48%.
"If this is true, these statistics indicate that the influenza vaccines can save more lives than any other single licensed medicine on the planet" says Doshi.
"Influenza is just one more example of disease-mongering, he says, or the medicalizing of ordinary life just to expand the market for pharmceuticals."

Strong words . . .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:44 AM

Re: The Flu Jab

Before the flu jab arrived how many people do you know of, personally, that died of the 'flu?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:46 AM

Personally, I don't know any Twiz.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:52 AM

Nor me, probably in the 1950's
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 01:47 AM

I know of one flu related death but that is hardly relevant. Personally I always take advantage of the free flu jab each year however one of the few advantages of being over 55 is that you have a higher immunity to new and exotic strains of flu due to previous exposure. Bird flu is still a risk.

Flu vaccines only claim to be 60% effective anyway but also only certain groups of people are recommended to be vaccinated:

over 65 year olds
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
people with compromised lung function

Sounds sensible to me.

Current Report Summary (October 2013)

Nationally, influenza activity continued to decrease this fortnight. Influenza activity in Tasmania is currently reported as wide-spread whereas all other jurisdictions are reporting either unchanged or decreasing activity compared to the previous fortnight.

As at 11 October 2013, there have been 22,983 cases of laboratory confirmed influenza reported, which is slightly more than half of the notifications received for the same period in 2012.

Over the 2012-13 inter-seasonal period, higher than usual numbers of influenza notifications were reported from most jurisdictions. The seasonal increase in influenza notifications commenced in early July and persisted over a shorter period than 2011 and 2012. The season peak of weekly notifications was similar to 2011 and occurred at the end of August.

Influenza activity peaked at the end of August in the majority of jurisdictions. Tasmania and the Northern Territory experienced a late peak while Western Australia reported extended increased activity from mid-August through September.

Nationally influenza A was the predominant influenza virus type. Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 re-emerged this season and represented over 15% of overall notifications, compared to <1% of notifications in 2012. Additionally, the proportion of influenza B this season has been higher than in recent years.

Across jurisdictions, the distribution of influenza types and subtypes has been variable. In Victoria there was a predominance of influenza type B throughout the season, with all other jurisdictions reporting mostly influenza A. In Western Australia, influenza A(H3N2) was the predominant subtype, whereas New South Wales and other eastern jurisdictions reported mostly A(H1N1)pdm09. Towards the end of the season while the proportion of influenza B remained stable nationally, increases were observed in New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland and the proportion of A(H1N1)pdm09 increased in Western Australia.

Notification data show that there was a predominance of influenza B infections in those aged less than 15 years, with influenza A infections most prevalent in the 0-4 and 30-34 years age groups. Consistent with A(H1N1)pdm09 dominated years, there were very few notifications of this subtype in those aged 65 years and over.

The rate of influenza associated hospitalisations has started to decline over the past fortnight. Both the 2012 and 2013 influenza seasons saw around 12% of influenza cases admitted directly to ICU with a high proportion of cases had known medical co-morbidities reported. In Australia it has been estimated that there have been over 4,500 influenza associated hospitalisations since April 2013. The age distribution of hospital admissions shows a peak in the 0-9 year age group as is typical of seasons with high levels of influenza B circulating.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 07:47 AM

I have had my flu jab this year so that's 2 years in a row. I don't even get a cold never mind flu.
One thing I wont have and keep getting asked to have, is the one for
pneumonia. Supposed to be a one off and you never get it kind of jab.
I refuse to have that one because of the known side effects of it.
I think that is being pushed by the pharmaceutical companies. I
read about it online and it says its not really any use for the over 65's its
been pushing it at and works better on younger people.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 08:21 AM

I know the flu jab worked for me and I've only had a couple of colds over the last 14 years or so - after having a touch of one a few weeks ago, I'd rather not have to feel awful with a streaming nose if it isn't necessary. I suppose it's like everything else: some will benefit and others won't.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 08:25 AM

I suppose the Eperdemic of the early 1900s which killed millions is remembered by governments and that's why the flu jab Is pushed our way .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 08:56 AM

I have never had influenza but am told it is nasty. Not having the jab though, prefer to let my immune system deal with things - it seems to be quite efficient. Three of my neighbours have just had the jab - and are feeling really rotten !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:08 AM

Since I have a serious chronic lung problem, the 'flu jab is an essential for me - have been having the injections for the past 12 years and it has prevented me from being admitted into hospital when various strains of the disease have run rife across the country.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top