Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Re: The Flu Jab

When I get a cold it's usually a nasty go to my chest affair, then I got two really bad chest infections last one nearly killed me, really thought my time had come. Then I became diabetic and became eligible for the flu and pneumonia jobs so last year had my first. The two colds I had last year were minor at worst, hardly worth moaning about, no chest infections over the winter at all. Had my second couple of months ago, had a cold two weeks ago my husband had it too and he looked awful for just over a week, I had a minor sore throat and sneezed a few times a day.

I don't know if it will stop me getting flu (never had that before anyway) but the flu jab for me is like magic if it can lessen the effects of colds and chest infections.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:52 AM

I think it depends of which report you read, there are lots endorsing the flu vaccine as well as those against.

Regardless of reports I will continue having the vaccine if there is the slightest chance of my contracting flu.

I have a chest condition and late onset asthma and I worry that if I caught flu I would end up in hospital. I have also had the pneumonia vaccination too all without side effects.

As to the vaccines effectiveness, some years ago when I was working in a boarding school the vaccine was offered to staff and in our 'house' only the two of us who were vaccinated were left standing , the other three house staff caught the flu. Coincidence maybe but we will never know.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 10:07 AM

The pneumonia vac was even less troublesome than the flu jab I found. Had them both same day different arms and the right (pneumonia) ached far less than the left.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 11:52 AM

My surgery says that the pneumonia jab lasts for 10 years. Must be potent stuff.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-11-2013, 11:59 AM

No more so than the vacs we had as babies and don't need repeating again in our lifetimes.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:13 PM

I have been having the flu jab for the last three years being asthmatic it was recommend that i have it, with no side effects. Also no colds that I can remember, I think I would remember because usually when I get a cold it goes straight onto my chest.

Or am I back into the forum about memory loss?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:15 PM

I once had pneumonia when I was about 28 - I had a chest infection (I thought it was just a lingering bout of flu and I didn't have time to pither about at the GPs), never again would I ignore a chest infection. It was one of the most awful ailments I've ever had and went on for so long. All my GP said was 'that'll teach you to self-diagnose'
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Isn't pneumonia usually caused by bacteria? Which is why it responds to antibiotics. Quite different to a viral infection and/or the common cold.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Having my flu jab this morning, sometimes the arm aches a bit, but that is usually all.
Didn't stop the virus I had this year though, must have been a different strain
Libera
Kent
Libera is female  Libera has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:50 AM

I have had the flu jab for the past two years with no ill effects except a sore arm where the nurse jabbed the needle in like throwing a dart! (I think they enjoy it, lol)

I don't tend to get colds or flu but try to maintain a good level of health and fitness, eat a healthy balanced diet and boost my immune system eating foods that contain lots of vitamins and minerals. (My granny was so right when she said "eat your greens"!)

Reading the opening post - I do wonder about the huge drug companies tactics for boosting profits, and our NHS is burdened with the high cost of medicines. However, in this case I think it is worth getting the jab just in case it helps to prevent some serious illness or death.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top