Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Re: The Flu Jab

First off... people RARELY die of the flu... What they DO die of is the complications of the flu.. like pneumonia, dehydration, renal failure.. Dysrhythmias from electrolyte imbalance. Wanna take the chance? Not me... the older you get the less your body can handle these things.

I get my flu shot every year. I have never had the flu. I get the usual colds and other such viral crud that people get and THINK is the flu.. but people tell me that once you are actually hit with the REAL flu... you will be more than happy to be vaccinated the following year. It's a bugger.

Also, I have never suffered any complications.. You cannot catch the flu from the vaccine.. that's a myth. The vaccine is made from only components of the virus.. NOT the actual virus.. therefore it's impossible. If you do get sick after being vaccinated... you would have gotten sick anyway because it's a coincidence.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
First off... people RARELY die of the flu... What they DO die of is the complications of the flu.. like pneumonia, dehydration, renal failure.. Dysrhythmias from electrolyte imbalance. Wanna take the chance? Not me... the older you get the less your body can handle these things.

I get my flu shot every year. I have never had the flu. I get the usual colds and other such viral crud that people get and THINK is the flu.. but people tell me that once you are actually hit with the REAL flu... you will be more than happy to be vaccinated the following year. It's a bugger.

Also, I have never suffered any complications.. You cannot catch the flu from the vaccine.. that's a myth. The vaccine is made from only components of the virus.. NOT the actual virus.. therefore it's impossible. If you do get sick after being vaccinated... you would have gotten sick anyway because it's a coincidence.
Well said Audrey.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Isn't pneumonia usually caused by bacteria? Which is why it responds to antibiotics. Quite different to a viral infection and/or the common cold.
Hi Bruce the 'pneumonia vaccination' is for the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae which can cause pneumonia, septicaemia, and meningitis.
It is usually given to babies, those over 65 and some with long term health conditions.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:28 PM

To respond to Bruce. YES.. there is bacterial pneumonia.. AND viral pneumonia. However, what the flu virus does is weaken your immune system and let whatever opportunistic infection get a foothold... whether bacterial or viral. It's the pneumonia that kills people. As for the pneumonia vaccine.. it's pretty specific against pneumococccal pneumonia. It doesn't do much against the millions of other things out there that can attack an immunocompromise or weakened host. People over 60 should get the pneumonia vaccine, because the older you get the more suseptable you become to the gram negative bacterial strains.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Had the flu jab for around 13yrs since I was dx with my illness. Until 3 yrs ago I thought it was the injection that stopped me getting the flu bug "maybe it did" but 3 yrs ago I went down with the flu and it put me in my bed for nearly 4 weeks did untold damage to my lungs o2 virtually 24/7.

Then I decided when I eventually got back on my feet to try life without it and do my own thing instead of depending on what the docs tell me to do.
I am now in my third year without having the injection, still take my morning Spiriva/symbicort/betta blokkers and nebs when needed and o2 is on standby.
To be honest I have never felt better since 1999.
Theres a lot to be said about getting out there and walking and eating the right stuff which in truth is only more salads with everything and fruit and smaller portions in dinners.
Silly thing is my wife has been having the flu jab these few years because I am high risk but she went down with the flu a week after her jab in October had to have two weeks off work and guess who nursed her..
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 04:09 PM

I only had it once, as im in at risk category, within a week i was quite ill with flu like symptoms. since then i havent bothered, i may have just been unlucky.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top