Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Re: Suprise Surprise!

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Yes too much sugar, too much salt - why, I ask meself .....
When they got rid of artificial colours etc ..... did we notice any difference, no - make good food - thats all we want ! Forget the added extras ......
The emphasis for some time has been Fat in all it's deviously worded guises, but it's mainly down to SUGAR in hidden forms.

That is the worst problem now because food manufacturers are adding sugars under different names, often just HFCS, which is High Fructose Corn Syrup; an extremely cheap sugar alternative.

However, HFCS are absorbed more rapidly than regular sugar and it doesn't stimulate insulin or leptin production.

Our hunter gatherer ancestors consumed the equivalent of 20 teaspoons of sugar per year.

Now some sections of Western societies consume almost double that, per day.

It is well known that too much added sugar, not just high-fructose corn syrup, can contribute unwanted calories that are linked to health problems, such as weight gain, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and high triglyceride levels and all of these boost your risk of heart disease too.

The problem for the consumer is all the misleading information on packets or tins these days because we're not all chemists or nutritionists so we don't know what many of the food additives actually are and it is very difficult to find basic foods without additives.

For all those that say they don't by ready meals and always make their own, even making your own with shop-bought ingredients will still contain many additives.

Also, virtually any meat and farmed fish will have additives from the food given to the animals and fish themselves.

The simple truth is that we're at the mercy of big business so until such time that all major Western Governments recognise that we're killing ourselves off eating food made for profit above anything else, nothing whatsoever will change stevmk2
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Well thought out & presented statement.. Thanks Steve.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Very interesting Steve.
Being diabetics, we both find it difficult to find simple things like a jar of sauce without a whole load of sugar in.
Making your own doesn't taste the same - I suppose our taste buds have been spoiled.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 03:13 PM

I only ever watch Masterchef part of the reason is I like Michel Roux and Monica Galetti but it doesn't make me want to cook their recipes, not really into cooking that much.
For as long as I can remember I have watched my calorie intake, try not to go above 1600 calories, less some days. I've been doing it so long now it's a way of life.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's not cooking shows that are the problem though, it's cheap sugary fattening foods and our lack of control about what we eat. Would be lovely to say stop the shows and we would all be slim but it just doesn't work like that.
I agree Julie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's not cooking shows that are the problem though, it's cheap sugary fattening foods and our lack of control about what we eat. Would be lovely to say stop the shows and we would all be slim but it just doesn't work like that.

Also lack of choice in shops eg went into the petrol station last night coming home from work fancied something, couldn't see anything healthy or low in calories in the store, managed to resist and came home to make myself something but surely it's possible to stock something nice but low calorie ?

Another thing that I am convinced that greatly contributes to us over eating is bulk buying. For example, when I get my mother's shopping, if she fancies 1 bag of crisps, it's all wrong to be forced to buy a multi-pack of 10 (or however many) to get it. Very often its the same with biscuits. They are putting more and more items into 2xpacks solely to make us buy more.
A small bar of chocolate often is often presented in a sealed pack with several others as well. Small shops often don't even have tomatoes loose, they are in packs of 6, same with pre-packed apples.
I find the supermarkets nearly always offer loose fruit and veg, yet often only offer multi-packs in other stuff. Mum can't even manage a child size portion of food anymore, and even I don't want large packs of everything just for myself. Not everyone has a family of 6 to feed, with packed lunches everyday!
I am convinced all this bulk stuff contributes to over eating because whereas someone might enjoy a bag of crisps for example, if there are 5 or 9 more bags left, they will polish them off as well over a few more days. It is also, nearly always the junk food that is multi-packed I've noticed.
They do exactly the same with a lot of the booze as well, we are encouraged by cheaper prices if we buy more than we need, so therefore a lot of people drink more and more too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 05:30 PM

I agree to an extent but just buying more isn't the problem we still buy multi packs because they are cheaper way to buy but they don't all have to be eaten on that day, I can buy a bar of chocolate these days and it lasts a month, before it would have been one sitting. It's gaining control of your own eating not what the shops are selling that is the real problem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 05:42 PM

Yes, I think you are definitely right about controlling our own eating Julie, and when you say you don't have to eat it all on the same day, that is also true. But the point I was making is if the extra bags/bottles or whatever are sitting there in front of you, you are more likely to gave another nibble or swig the next night and the next which wouldn't happen if you'd just bought a single packet, bottle or can. It tempts the weak willed!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 06:06 PM

........yes Mups but then another cooking programme comes on tv and gives you the 'munchies'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I think you are definitely right about controlling our own eating Julie, and when you say you don't have to eat it all on the same day, that is also true. But the point I was making is if the extra bags/bottles or whatever are sitting there in front of you, you are more likely to gave another nibble or swig the next night and the next which wouldn't happen if you'd just bought a single packet, bottle or can. It tempts the weak willed!
Good point Mups - bring back the corner shop where you could buy an egg - a knob of butter etc ... just as you needed ......

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top