Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Re: Suprise Surprise!

Funny thing I watch my weight like a hawk but I also love watching food programmes, one in particular - Man VS Food . I love it as he approaches the challenge as if he is an athlete. If you don't know the program I am on about he, or someone, faces an eating challenge at the end that normally involves eating 5-6 lbs of something or other. All the stuff I avoid he stuffs into his mouth and I love it! Makes up for my enforced dietary regime misgivings. I also like other food programs probably because I'm such a crap cook, and apart from that I really can't be arsed to mess about for ages with cooking something that you eat in just minutes. Can't say it makes me want to eat more though as I know the type of foods I need to eat to satisfy a particular craving - well usually I do.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2014, 10:13 PM

After centuries of starvation, I think the people of the developing World deserve to be plump & sleek for a while before we start lecturing them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Good point Mups - bring back the corner shop where you could buy an egg - a knob of butter etc ... just as you needed ......

Thankyou Patsy. When larger quantities are purchased than are actually needed, some people just keep stuffing it in simply because they've paid for it and think its "a shame to waste it".
Crisps are an example to me. If there are none in the house I wouldn't bother to dash out to find some, but if I know there are some in the cupboard, I just have to eat them!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Another part of the problem is the change to our lifestyles which have become much more sedentary (thanks to technology) so calories are not burnt off the way they used to be. My son works in construction and it's a very manually labour intensive job - he eats what he likes and is still very slim!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Another part of the problem is the change to our lifestyles which have become much more sedentary (thanks to technology) so calories are not burnt off the way they used to be. My son works in construction and it's a very manually labour intensive job - he eats what he likes and is still very slim!

Yes, you're absolutely right there BV. Machinery and technology has not only made us very lazy, its put multitudes out of work.
(Hi BV )
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 01:05 AM

Hi Mups , hope you are well.

I agree about technology putting people out of work when you think most of us have cars so we won't even walk as much as we used to. Stress is another factor in weight gain (the release of cortisol) and boy are we kept in a state of stress!

Still, the government do seem to be at least addressing this problem: making sure we have very little money and end up not being able to afford to eat!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-01-2014, 01:11 AM

[QUOTE=ben-varrey;398589]Hi Mups , hope you are well.

I agree about technology putting people out of work when you think most of us have cars so we won't even walk as much as we used to. Stress is another factor in weight gain (the release of cortisol) and boy are we kept in a state of stress!

Still, the government do seem to be at least addressing this problem: making sure we have very little money and end up not being able to afford to eat![/QUOTE]

Yes, they will be doing it for our own good, very considerate of them isn't it - a sure vote puller
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2014, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Yes, they will be doing it for our own good, very considerate of them isn't it - a sure vote puller
I have absolutely no doubt they see it as a 'tough love' approach they must think we're more green than cabbage looking (the cabbage bit might be a bit dodgy once hunger pangs set in )
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-01-2014, 01:41 AM

I expect he feels terribly guilty on coming home from his 10th holiday to find his house cosy and warm and too much food on the table.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2014, 01:44 AM

It does make you wonder if they have a conscience doesn't it - it is something I have wondered about many times. I know that in their situation, if I had done the things they have done, I would be wracked with guilt.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top