Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 11:53 PM

Eggs & Cholesterol

Why is it so many times "the experts" inform us certain things are bad for us, then one day they decide to tell us the opposite? Which are we supposed to believe?
Now they have decided that eggs aren't bad for our hearts after all:-

"For decades, doctors have been telling us that eggs raise our cholesterol. But a major new study has confirmed that processed 'white' foods - and not eggs - are the real culprits.
Even eating an egg every day won't increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, say researchers from the University of Granada in Spain.
Although the humble egg has been blamed for heart disease and high cholesterol levels, the problem is actually caused by the large amounts of saturated and trans fats we eat, which mostly come from red meat and processed foods like breads, cakes and biscuits."
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 11:57 PM

Re: Eggs & Cholesterol

All things in moderation are fine I think. A sensible balanced diet with little or no so called fast food and plenty of fresh leafy veggies work for me..oh and one statin and one beta blocker per day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 12:01 AM

Hi Mups eggs have been 'rehabilitated' for some years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups eggs have been 'rehabilitated' for some years.

What do you mean Meg, do you mean 'let off the hook'?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What do you mean Meg, do you mean 'let off the hook'?
...yes Mups it was announced a few years ago that eggs were no longer considered to be responsible for raising cholesterol and therefore were 'safe' to eat which was good news for me because I eat a lot of eggs
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Oh I didn't know that Meg. Only just seen the article today.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

08-01-2014, 12:24 AM

Oh I didn't know that Meg. Only just seen the article today.
Is this more recent research Mups
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-01-2014, 12:31 AM

Well it was in a health magazine I only bought yesterday . . .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

08-01-2014, 12:32 AM

Well it was in a health magazine I only bought yesterday . . .
Well its good to know the 'experts' haven't changed their mind again and put eggs back in the dog house
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 07:03 AM

When I visited the UK in the late 80s the concern then was that UK eggs were full of salmonella but I read recently that it had largely been eradicated by a concerted program since that time (reminds me of mad cow disease). Is that the case?

BTW Trans fat doesn't come from red meat it is purely from a manufacturing process.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top