Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Re: Copper water pipes

As my old Dad used to say, "It's not safe being alive"....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
That may relate to 'modern' water pipes Bruce, but what of those that have been in place, 10, 20, 50, 100 + years??? The house in which my flat is situated is more than 170 years old!!!
Didn't you read what I wrote? LEAD! Copper has only been used for a relatively short period.

The word plumbing is a bit of a clue it is derived from the Latin for lead (plumbum from memory - yes, unfortunately I did Latin at school).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Didn't you read what I wrote? LEAD! Copper has only been used for a relatively short period.

The word plumbing is a bit of a clue it is derived from the Latin for lead (plumbum from memory - yes, unfortunately I did Latin at school).

Yes Bruce they replaced lead piping for copper many decades ago in most instances (although I remember fighting on behalf of several tenants in the 1980s to get the Landlord to replace the lead piping). My point was, that if COPPER is now considered dangerous, there are millions of homes which have COPPER water pipes, not all of those can be safely removed, without destroying large parts of the accomodation to get at them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 03:05 PM

I can remember my gran cooking with copper pots and pans and her kettle was a copper one too, never seemed to cause a problem to anyone back then.
Aluminium however I can remember my Dad getting ally poisoning when he was a welder, nasty stuff.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 04:45 PM

There's always another side to every story.

British scientists concluded that copper to the contrary helps guard against Alzheimer’s disease.

Copper in tap water is much more quickly absorbed than the copper contained in many foodstuffs, it is an essential mineral required by the body for bone and connective tissue production, and for coding specific enzymes that range in function from eliminating free radicals to producing melanin.

A deficiency in copper can also lead to osteoporosis, joint pain, and lowered immunity
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
There's always another side to every story.

British scientists concluded that copper to the contrary helps guard against Alzheimer’s disease.

Copper in tap water is much more quickly absorbed than the copper contained in many foodstuffs, it is an essential mineral required by the body for bone and connective tissue production, and for coding specific enzymes that range in function from eliminating free radicals to producing melanin.

A deficiency in copper can also lead to osteoporosis, joint pain, and lowered immunity

Yes, you're right Pats, we do all need copper. It's like many other things though - too much is toxic.
Recommended daily amount is 1.5 - 3mg per day for adults.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Er, you did also say "COPPER is a thing of the past now" Bruce, and I think what UJ meant was many properties still have copper today. So although it may not be used for new installations, its still laying there from the past.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Er, you did also say "COPPER is a thing of the past now" Bruce, and I think what UJ meant was many properties still have copper today. So although it may not be used for new installations, its still laying there from the past.
Yes, but surely that is merely stating the bleeding obvious. I presumed I was not talking to a child.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-01-2014, 12:08 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce;400321]Yes, but surely that is merely stating the bleeding obvious. I presumed I was not talking to a child.[/QUOTE]

Keep yer 'air on -

Just saying I think that's all he "bleedin'" meant Bruce!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-01-2014, 01:53 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;400338]
Yes, but surely that is merely stating the bleeding obvious. I presumed I was not talking to a child.[/QUOTE]

Keep yer 'air on -

Just saying I think that's all he "bleedin'" meant Bruce!
It's Ok, I am not worried about it. Just chatting.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top