Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Have you got IBS or IBD (Irritable Bowel Syndrome / Disease)

I am just wondering if anyone here has IBS. My gastro thinks I have IBS, but I disagree. Hence wondering how others are affected.

If you get a moment, please answer the following:
  1. How long have you had it?
  2. What are your symptoms?
  3. Have your symptoms become worse or better over the years?
  4. What do you think causes IBS, or caused or triggered your own IBS?
  5. Who diagnosed you? (GP or Gastro?)
  6. As IBS was traditionally a diagnosis of exclusion, what else were you tested for or what else was excluded?
  7. Do you have any other non-IBS type symptoms?
  8. Are your symptoms nocturnal?
  9. Do you get diarrhoea or constipation (or both)?
  10. Have you noticed any triggers? Such as certain foods/stress, etc?
  11. Are you on any medications for it? Do they help? (yes/no/not sure if they do)
  12. Do you accept you have IBS, or do you think there is some other cause?
  13. Have you read up or researched the condition other than that what was provided to you by your GP or Gastro? If so did you find anything interesting? Or anything that contradicts what your GP or Gastro told you?
  14. Anything else you'd like to share?

Feel free to copy and past the below (everything inside the quote box) to insert your answers (just put your answers in place of ANSWER_HERE) - it will then be properly formatted as above

[LIST=1]

[*][B]How long have you had it?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]What are your symptoms? [/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Have your symptoms become worse or better over the years?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]What do [B]you[/B] think causes IBS, or caused or triggered your own IBS?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Who diagnosed you? (GP or Gastro?)[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]As IBS was traditionally a diagnosis of exclusion, what else were you tested for or what else was excluded?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Do you have any other non-IBS type symptoms?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Are your symptoms nocturnal?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Do you get diarrhoea or constipation (or both)?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Have you noticed any triggers? Such as certain foods/stress, etc?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Are you on any medications for it? Do they help? (yes/no/not sure if they do)[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Do you accept you have IBS, or do you think there is some other cause?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Have you read up or researched the condition other than that what was provided to you by your GP or Gastro? If so did you find anything interesting? Or anything that contradicts what your GP or Gastro told you?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[*][B]Anything else you'd like to share?[/B] -
ANSWER_HERE

[/LIST]

Please feel free to post a thread in the members only section if you prefer not to post on the open forum.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Re: Have you got IBS or IBD (Irritable Bowel Syndrome / Disease)

I was examined at the hospital, the conclusion was IBS and I agree, purely because I get problems when I am stressed.
I was taking Rhodiola for the stress, but the EU put a stop to that natural alternative, so have to find another.
I have recently tried Fennel for the IBS, not sure yet, only taken 10 days.
Doctor prescribed peppermint based drug - no good.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:32 PM

My husband had it for some years, I won't answer the questions for him wouldn't be fair, but what "cured" him was having a stroke. We changed our lives entirely and cut out all stress as much as possible. We protect him from stress even now as it triggers his problems terribly.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Absolutely agree with that - stress 'is' the main factor ...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 02:33 PM

When you are stressed your body releases cortisol, when your body is fighting an infection your adrenals go into overdrive. Cortisol is a waster of vital electrolytes.

If you have an underlying condition your body is fighting, stress will make it worse, hence a possible cause of triggering IBS symptoms; because your body is less able to deal with whatever it is that is the root cause.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 02:36 PM

I have IBS.

My doctor and myself agreed on the diagnosis.
I don't take any medication.
I know what foods trigger an episode so avoid them.
Stress can bring on an episode.

I believe my IBS was triggered by a severe emotional trauma.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-01-2014, 02:36 PM

Stress for some,results in tension headaches - for me always affected my tummy ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 04:52 PM

I supposedly have IBS, it was diagnosed after extensive tests and in the absence of other conditions .

Mine began years ago during a time of great stress when I wasn't eating.

I still get episodes but it is much better now .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I was examined at the hospital, the conclusion was IBS and I agree, purely because I get problems when I am stressed.
I was taking Rhodiola for the stress, but the EU put a stop to that natural alternative, so have to find another.
I have recently tried Fennel for the IBS, not sure yet, only taken 10 days.
Doctor prescribed peppermint based drug - no good.

I have drunk pure Aloe Vera juice for a couple of years now Patsy, have a read up on it, (but not just by the people selling it). My Indian Yoga teacher told me about it ages ago and I don't get much trouble now, unless, like you, I am freaked out about things. But different things work for different people don't they.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-01-2014, 06:13 PM

They do Mups - decided against the Fennel no good - I will check out the Aloe ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top