Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Re: Have you got IBS or IBD (Irritable Bowel Syndrome / Disease)

I had IBS about 4 years ago, had it for years, when someone told me to not have Milk or anything containing Milk but have Soya Milk instead, I tried this and my IBS went away, I haven't had IBS now for 2 years.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Have very little milk, I am investigating Aloe and Liquorice capsules at present .... the search goes on ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=Patsy;407908]Have very little milk, I am investigating Aloe and Liquorice capsules at present .... the search goes on ...[/QUOTE

I only use the pure liquid juice Patsy. I also have several Aloe plants in the house and use the pure leaf sap for insect bites/burns/sunburn etc, it is wonderful stuff for this. I have been told it is even used in the London burns hospital.
I have a veterinary book explaining about the use of this plant for animals as well.

My little "human" book written by Dr. Peter Atherton, says:
" Aloe Vera regulates gut flora. I believe the immune balancing properties of aloe help to make people feel better 'in themselves', which has a knock-on-effect on their emotional well-being. As stress is believed to be a factor that can trigger IBS, an improved feeling of well-being should help to minimise attacks".

BUT - as with most things whether it be 'natural' or drugs, there are some contraindications to observe.
Quote from the book again:
" While aloe Vera is generally safe to use, some conditions require careful consideration. Drinking Aloe can affect the following drugs/patients:
* Anti-coagulants. consult your Doctor first.

* Drugs for High BP. Aloe may lower blood pressure. Effects are not drastic, but discuss with Doctor.

* Diabetics. Some diabetics find that drinking Aloe reduces their blood sugar level. While this is a good effect, it means that the amount of insulin needed may fluctuate. Monitor blood sugar levels closely. Discuss with Doctor."

Apparently it can also help with immune system disorders like Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.

That's about the gist of it anyway, but I always try to learn as much as possible about something before I take anything new.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Think different foods trigger in different people my husband has no problem with dairy but whole grains, yeasty and spicy foods cause all sorts of problems for him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Yes I agree Julie, as I said, different things work for different people simply because we are all different! That's why I worry about the "one pill fits all" approach.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks Mups - I always research before I buy too - undecided at present ..
Its not food related for me as I never diverse with food, I know its stress related ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top