Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 12:33 AM

Why I no longer buy pre-washed salads

For a long time I have been a bit sceptical of pre-washed salads, as often, it just smelt dirty!

And when some of the countries our produce comes from is in the tropics, it's just not worth the risk:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/parasit...nada-1.1182977
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Re: Why I no longer buy pre-washed salads

I never buy that stuff - prefer to make my own !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 09:22 AM

We used to buy a couple of bags when we went on holiday as a treat, then we had a bag that when opened smelled like a swimming pool so we never bought one again. They must use a strong disinfectant we imagined for it to smell so strongly.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 10:43 AM

I occasionally buy pre packed salads for BBQs and they are fine, certainly no unpleasant smells.

One of the great things about Australia and its strict quarantine laws is that 99.999999% of the fresh food we buy in the shops is grown here (65% of our food is exported).

When I visited the UK it mildly amused me to see two piles of identical looking brown onions (for example) in the supermarket one labelled 'from Spain' and the other labelled 'from Italy' selling at the same price (why bother?). Here you see one pile of brown onions and that is it - its source changes according to the growing season; it might come from Tasmania at one time and southern Queensland three months later though you would never know unless you listened to the market reports on the radio.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 10:53 AM

They have to label where things come from EU rules I believe so we are supposed to calculate the air miles and buy the "greener" product. Personally I look for the cheapest.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:17 AM

I have never bought it because it seems expensive and wasteful to me and I don't like my food messed around with by other people. I buy lettuce etc and discard the outer leaves.

I know some suppliers wash salad stuff in a chlorine solution too which isn't very attractive.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Rarely buy prebagged leafy salad but having read the link Azz, I'll never buy it again!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 01:24 PM

I used to waste loads of salad stuff but not anymore. I mainly buy stuff that will keep for a while; hard cabbages, onions, peppars, carrots etc. I used to buy them prepared salad bags but they don't stay fresh for long and turn in to a right goey mess quite quickly, which is enough to turn you off salad for life. My salad maker rocks though and makes great salads in no time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We used to buy a couple of bags when we went on holiday as a treat, then we had a bag that when opened smelled like a swimming pool so we never bought one again. They must use a strong disinfectant we imagined for it to smell so strongly.

They do Julie. I believe its a type of sterilizer. If I have the odd bag, I always wash it again before use.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They have to label where things come from EU rules I believe so we are supposed to calculate the air miles and buy the "greener" product. Personally I look for the cheapest.
Daft idea in the first place wasn't it Julie?!

We do the same - we buy the cheapest because we're not in the position to go for the greener product because it's more expensive.

We always make up our own salads now and never much more than we can eat in 2 days, just in case.

Never really had any faith in bagged salads to be honest - too much of a risk I've always thought.

We gave them up years ago after buying one only to find it stank of stagnant water when we opened it!

Provided I get any early enough start, we'll eat our own salad veg most of the Summer right up to September or even October.

I made the mistake of eating salad in a Spanish Hotel a few years ago because I was told it was always freshly washed.
Unfortunately although it was freshly washed, it was washed in tap water, and we later found out that the hotel advises against drinking their tap water!

Spanish water varies quite a lot and in some parts of the country there will be a higher mineral content than in others, which may upset the sensitive. stevmk2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top