Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Brain Tumours

Does anyone have any experience to do with Brain tumours?

Our youngest son - my wife's youngest - has had MRI scans which have revealed a brain tumour and it seems to be from excess hormones emanating from the pituitary gland.

In his case the doctors are saying that they've never seen such a high level of this hormone before - NEVER.

Of course this means that my wife is extremely worried, despite all I am trying to say to alleviate that worry for the simple reason that it's a BRAIN TUMOUR we're talking about.

She's hovering around me right now telling me she's not worried...........

From what I've just read on the 'Net this is treated with chemicals to reduce the over-production of the hormone GnRH so I'm hoping this will allay her fears - a little, but any personal experience would be handy to pass on. Thanks. stevmk2
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 05:29 PM

Re: Brain Tumours

Hi Steve, I have experience of a adenoma of the Pituitary Gland.
They will probably put him on a drug called Dostinex. Don't let him
go on Bromocriptine as that doesn't always work. They are nearly
always benign not cancerous. So try not to worry until they have
done all of the tests.
It produces too much Prolactin in the blood which is probably why they know what he has because they find it in the blood. The person I know with
it had a count of 1300 and now because of the Dostinex its down to
normal of 234. No operation is needed if it is benign and you are best
telling him to just take the tablet. You get 2 a week to take so 8 a month.
This drug works very well and the only side effect is you cant drink that
day you take it as it will make you nauseous or even sick. So if he drinks
he will have to decline 2 days a week which the Doctor will say great to
I am sure. If you want to ask me anymore questions Steve send me
a PM and I will go into more details for you.
Good luck to the lad x
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Hi Steve, I have experience of a adenoma of the Pituitary Gland.
They will probably put him on a drug called Dostinex. Don't let him
go on Bromocriptine as that doesn't always work. They are nearly
always benign not cancerous. So try not to worry until they have
done all of the tests.
It produces too much Prolactin in the blood which is probably why they know what he has because they find it in the blood. The person I know with
it had a count of 1300 and now because of the Dostinex its down to
normal of 234. No operation is needed if it is benign and you are best
telling him to just take the tablet. You get 2 a week to take so 8 a month.
This drug works very well and the only side effect is you cant drink that
day you take it as it will make you nauseous or even sick. So if he drinks
he will have to decline 2 days a week which the Doctor will say great to
I am sure. If you want to ask me anymore questions Steve send me
a PM and I will go into more details for you.
Good luck to the lad x
A response that is so far beyond what I was expecting Bowie so Thank You so very much! stevmk2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Does anyone have any experience to do with Brain tumours?

Our youngest son - my wife's youngest - has had MRI scans which have revealed a brain tumour and it seems to be from excess hormones emanating from the pituitary gland.

In his case the doctors are saying that they've never seen such a high level of this hormone before - NEVER.

Of course this means that my wife is extremely worried, despite all I am trying to say to alleviate that worry for the simple reason that it's a BRAIN TUMOUR we're talking about.

She's hovering around me right now telling me she's not worried...........

From what I've just read on the 'Net this is treated with chemicals to reduce the over-production of the hormone GnRH so I'm hoping this will allay her fears - a little, but any personal experience would be handy to pass on. Thanks. stevmk2
My ex wife had an enlarged pituitary gland due to the same reason. Tumour and enlarged seemed to be inter-changeable in this case. They decided to operate because of the possibility of blindness caused by pressure on the nearby optic nerve. She had a successful operation.

A few years later she had to have the operation repeated again successfully BUT sometime during or immediately after the operation she had a stroke in the brain stem and now she is disabled and lives in a high dependency retirement home. However she is still alive and not blind and the stroke was a one in a million chance and is a possibility in any major operation.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 01:18 PM

Sorry to hear about your wife Bruce that's a sad story.
That's why I know to keep taking the tablets. They shrink the tumour and keep the Prolactin low in the blood.
The pressure on the optic nerve is a possibility if it grows and also a stroke if the Pituitary gland is operated on. As with most tumours its best to catch them early so treatment can be given straight away.
With treatment and keep taking the tablets routine it can be a very manageable tumour.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

08-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Sorry to hear about your wife Bruce that's a sad story.
That's why I know to keep taking the tablets. They shrink the tumour and keep the Prolactin low in the blood.
The pressure on the optic nerve is a possibility if it grows and also a stroke if the Pituitary gland is operated on. As with most tumours its best to catch them early so treatment can be given straight away.
With treatment and keep taking the tablets routine it can be a very manageable tumour.
Our son's been told that there's no pressure as yet on the optic nerve BowieEyes and as far as I know they're talking in terms of chemical means at the moment rather than operations so my wife's a bit less worried.

Sorry to read of all your ex-wife's problems Bruce. Must have been hard at the time. stevmk2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 02:03 AM

Our son's been told that there's no pressure as yet on the optic nerve BowieEyes and as far as I know they're talking in terms of chemical means at the moment rather than operations so my wife's a bit less worried.

Sorry to read of all your ex-wife's problems Bruce. Must have been hard at the time. stevmk2
To be honest it wasn't really a problem for me I had divorced her a years previously so was not related to her but it was very hard on the kids because they had to deal with it and at one stage sign a form for her not to be be resuscitated if she went into a coma or had another stroke (at that time it looked like she might be in a vegetative state).

She was/is their mother whereas for me she was a past mistake (harsh I know) so I was in a difficult position when they sought my advice but that was nothing compared to the position they were in. I had brought them up when she left so they were much closer to me than her.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Our son's been told that there's no pressure as yet on the optic nerve and as far as I know they're talking in terms of chemical means at the moment rather than operations so my wife's a bit less worried.
stevmk2.
Your son's case is unique to him, there are many types of tumours and only your son's medical team have the information on the type of tumour he has and the treatment path they need to take.

I hope that when the decision is made on the treatment he needs that it all goes well.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

11-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
stevmk2.
Your son's case is unique to him, there are many types of tumours and only your son's medical team have the information on the type of tumour he has and the treatment path they need to take.
I hope that when the decision is made on the treatment he needs that it all goes well.
Thanks Pats - Chris (my wife) says "I'm fine" all the time but if the 'phone rings, she does a good impression of a Patriot missile - gone in a flash.

'Phone's just rung so lucky we haven't got a dog or cat - no chance if you're in the way! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

21-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Our youngest son rang yesterday to say that the medication he's now on is working and the levels of proteins responsible for the tumour have gone down considerably.

He has another MRI in a month but the signs are encouraging the Doctor said.

Big sighs of relief in this household! stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top