Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spiritlight
Durham England
spiritlight is female  spiritlight has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 05:22 PM

BPPV ( vertigo )

Hi I am wondering if anyone else has suffered with vertigo. I had a cold and sore throat just before christmas and I became dizzy especially at night when laying down and turning over in bed . I went to my Doctor and he diagnosed BPPV vertigo and sent me to an ENT doctor at a local clinic . I was examined and he did a manouvour called " the eply manouvour " because he said their might be crystals in the wrong ear cannal and this is what makes the brain confused with balance causing the spinning sensations. He also gave me excercises to do at home called " the Brant- Darroff excercises " I have still got this awful spinning sensation and feel quiet fed up with it all. Does anyone else have this or have had and if so how long can this go on for ? I am just 55 and am thinking is this all down hill from now on ? need some positive people to help me out ...anyone ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Re: BPPV ( vertigo )

Hello Sandra - I have problems with my ears which causes my vertigo.
The spinning sensation is incredible and frightening combined with nausea.
I manage to keep this in control with Betahistine tablets 8mg and for the nausea Metoclopramide 10mg. I usually refuse drugs, but have no choice here, as the symptoms are so severe I would not be able to move !!
I do have dizzy spells and my balance isn't good but I survive better on these pills.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Forgive me for shivering when I read your post - vertigo is absolutely awful. I must say though that the exercises bought almost immediate relief - it doesn't sound as if you were quite as lucky.

I have had bouts on and off for about 5 years -none as serious as the first attack when I seriously thought I must be having a stroke as it was so severe.

Keep doing the exercises and it will get better - you might have a recurrence, which happened to me, but I find doing the exercises at the first sign tends to keep it away. I might have been lucky.

Originally Posted by spiritlight ->
Hi I am wondering if anyone else has suffered with vertigo. I had a cold and sore throat just before christmas and I became dizzy especially at night when laying down and turning over in bed . I went to my Doctor and he diagnosed BPPV vertigo and sent me to an ENT doctor at a local clinic . I was examined and he did a manouvour called " the eply manouvour " because he said their might be crystals in the wrong ear cannal and this is what makes the brain confused with balance causing the spinning sensations. He also gave me excercises to do at home called " the Brant- Darroff excercises " I have still got this awful spinning sensation and feel quiet fed up with it all. Does anyone else have this or have had and if so how long can this go on for ? I am just 55 and am thinking is this all down hill from now on ? need some positive people to help me out ...anyone ?
spiritlight
Durham England
spiritlight is female  spiritlight has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Hi Patsy thanks for replying I was prescribed some tablets ( travel sickness type ) I dont get the nausea so not sure if they are worth taking. I am already on other medication for blood pressure and cholseterol and hate the thought of having to take anything else unless its absolutly essential. I understand how awful it feels and sympathise with you as it is scarey and makes me even more anxious than I already am when it happens to me. Patsy have you had other treatment or been reccommeded anything other than your present medication?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Forgive me for shivering when I read your post - vertigo is absolutely awful. I must say though that the exercises bought almost immediate relief - it doesn't sound as if you were quite as lucky.

I have had bouts on and off for about 5 years -none as serious as the first attack when I seriously thought I must be having a stroke as it was so severe.

Keep doing the exercises and it will get better - you might have a recurrence, which happened to me, but I find doing the exercises at the first sign tends to keep it away. I might have been lucky.
I think it depends on the reason for the vertigo, but as this was suggested to Sandra, it may well work ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by spiritlight ->
Hi Patsy thanks for replying I was prescribed some tablets ( travel sickness type ) I dont get the nausea so not sure if they are worth taking. I am already on other medication for blood pressure and cholseterol and hate the thought of having to take anything else unless its absolutly essential. I understand how awful it feels and sympathise with you as it is scarey and makes me even more anxious than I already am when it happens to me. Patsy have you had other treatment or been reccommeded anything other than your present medication?
I know, just talking about it makes me anxious, it has to be the worst that can happen to someone - I'll stop there ...
Anyway yes, I was offered an operation on both ears, no guarantees, and as I'm prone to scar tissue I refused them.
I hope for you, this is as bad as it gets and you will see improvement - with me, I have to take these pills ....
Good wishes to you - steady as you go
spiritlight
Durham England

09-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Hello Baxter thanks for your reply. Yes its a horrible condition and would not wish it on anyone. Sorry to hear you have had it for that long. I actually thought vertigo was a fear of heights but when the dizziness happens its like the inside of my head is spinning like a top and its frighteneing, . I thought i had a stroke as it can be a sign apparantly but the ENT doctor ruled it out by doing a few simple tests. I lost my mother to stroke and she was only 51 and her mother was 48 with the same thing. I will keep up the excercises and keeping fingers crossed it will go away forever.
spiritlight
Durham England

09-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks Patsy thanks for your advice and hope you also find some improvment its so annoying having to live with it everyday .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Just looked up BPPV - its a little milder than mine, with me, it would not be possible to do the exercises.
Have you googled BPPV Sandra, a good list comes up and you may find alternative solutions there .....
spiritlight
Durham England

09-02-2014, 06:14 PM

HI patsy I have done some research online over the last few weeks trying to get some different options to try but worry that it may make it worse...I feel it has got slightly better since december but its a worry isnt it not knowing all the ins and outs. I think its even guess work with doctors at times. Thanks for all your help :0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top