Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Re: BPPV ( vertigo )

Yep I agree - just keep positive gal
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 06:18 PM

My husband was diagnosed with this a few years ago and was told it would go away eventually but may come back again at times. Thankfully it lessened after several months but was pretty bad sometimes.
He was told no sudden movements and, because it's worse at night, lie down very slowly and rise the same way.
Seems quite common as since he had it I've known 2 more with it, wishing you well.
spiritlight
Durham England
spiritlight is female  spiritlight has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Hi Cranberry I am keeping my fingers crossed it will get better as the thought of it not going away fills me with dread . It is worse when laying down and getting up and once i got up too quicky and just had to go down on my knees because i thought i was going to pass out . Thanks for your good wishes and hope your husband is free of it now .
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 09:10 PM

I experience episodes of it too. It comes on very quickly and subsides slowly - sometimes over days- sometimes weeks. My GP never seemed too worried and it was just a matter of avoiding sudden movements.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 10:14 PM

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common causes of vertigo.
It is usually brought about and made worse by positional changes and head movements.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 12:33 AM

I had this pretty badly several years ago, could barely stand up unless hanging on to something for support. I could actually "see" the floor moving up and down like I was on a boat! It took several months to go completely, then half heartedly returned a year or so ago, but nowhere near as bad.
Any sudden change of direction started it off, tying shoes laces, turning over in bed, laying down or sitting up in bed etc. I remember looking up high at something on a supermarket shelf and suddenly having to grab the shelf to stop myself falling. I felt so embarrassed incase people thought I was an old drunk!! This second episode gradually faded after a few weeks.
I do feel for you Spiritlight, its a horrible, horrible feeling, but it will gradually fade away, and in the meantime just be extra careful.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Not experienced it myself but you have my sympathies. Seems from what
others have said that you might have to retrain yourself in the way you spin your head around etc. I suppose if you have always sprung out of bed that it will take time to retrain yourself to do it slowly and not throw your head about in other ways. Hope it goes well for you and try and find the best positions for your head so you don't get the vertigo.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top