Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Nails

Does your finger and toenails grow fast? well mine does, I think, it's toenail cutting time again and I only cut them three weeks ago, is that fast? I think it is, if I was having them cut professionally I would be shelling out a small fortune, luckily I can still do it myself with the snippers I have. My fingernails have to be cut down short every two weeks, I can't bear them long when I working. Just asking to see what the normal growth rate is for someone in my age bracket, maybe a kind person in the medical profession could enlighten me.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 04:31 PM

Re: Nails

No idea on the growth rate but my toenails need clipping often, I very rarely cut my fingernails they just don't grow at all, they split all the time.

I would love longer fingernails.......fancy a swap?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Just asking to see what the normal growth rate is for someone in my age bracket, maybe a kind person in the medical profession could enlighten me.
The rate of growth of human nails varies, depending on the person, the nail in question and the time of year.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Thanks for telling me that Pats, so we all differ in the nail department. I did notice that one particular toenail on my right foot seems to grow quicker than the rest of them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Mine and Hubs - they grow fast too Jem - its a curse ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 05:46 PM

The rate of nail growth has been increasing over the years due mainly to better diets.

In the late 1930s it would have been an average of 3mm per month but the most recent studies now say it's up to an average of 3.55mm; obviously some will be more and others less.

Vitamin D, which many of us take in the Winter months to counteract Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or, in my case to help alleviate symptoms of my Asthma also increases nail growth.

I find that my hair also grows very quickly too but I really don't know if it always has or it's just my perception now! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Thanks for telling me that Pats, so we all differ in the nail department. I did notice that one particular toenail on my right foot seems to grow quicker than the rest of them.
It's all the Guinness Jem, it goes straight through to your toes
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

17-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It's all the Guinness Jem, it goes straight through to your toes
You're as smart as paint Mags, never thought of the Guinness.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 09:25 PM

I have always had long nails that grow fast on my feet and hands.
I have always looked after them by soaking olive oil on them and use nail polish as well.
Cranberry do you oil your nails as that could be why they are splitting
if not.
Also I used to eat one cube of jelly a day for a week to make them
strong every now and again. I was told that made them stronger but whether it was true or not I don't know other than I have always had strong long nails.
I cut my toe nails about every 3 weeks and my hand nails when I get fed up
of banging them into something.
Gem it made me laugh when you said you had one nail that grew quicker
than the others. You would have to buy new shoes if you didn't cut that one
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

17-02-2014, 09:47 PM

Yes Sandy that toe acts as a warning to me, I feel it first hitting off the inside of my shoe, then I know he has to go.
I do keep my toenails clean and neat, I think it's very important to do so, some of the ads on here show a rotten toe nail and it's disgusting looking, all sorts of things can go wrong if you don't look after them, one could even end up walking like Hercule Poirot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top