Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Tired after eating?

Reading through another post on here I remembered that for years now I always get sleepy after eating so I just looked it up!

I just found this: -

"As you'd expect, science has some answers.
First, when the food starts to arrive in your stomach, the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system increases and the activity of the sympathetic nervous system decreases.

What does that mean?

The sympathetic nervous system provides our fight-or-flight response.

The parasympathetic system gets your organs ready for digestion.
Basically, your body wants you to stay still in order to sort out the contents of your stomach. That's why you choose not to move too much after your meal.

Next, when you start digesting your food, you get a big rush of glucose into your blood stream.

If you don't have diabetes, your body creates insulin to help the body's cells absorb the glucose.

The insulin works by affecting the uptake of a bunch of amino acids in the body except for one called tryptophan.

The concentration of tryptophan increases relative to other amino acids and, in the brain, tryptophan is converted to serotonin, which is itself converted to melatonin - both of which result in sleepiness! stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 12:39 PM

Re: Tired after eating?

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Reading through another post on here I remembered that for years now I always get sleepy after eating so I just looked it up!

I just found this: -

"As you'd expect, science has some answers.
First, when the food starts to arrive in your stomach, the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system increases and the activity of the sympathetic nervous system decreases.

What does that mean?

The sympathetic nervous system provides our fight-or-flight response.

The parasympathetic system gets your organs ready for digestion.
Basically, your body wants you to stay still in order to sort out the contents of your stomach. That's why you choose not to move too much after your meal.

Next, when you start digesting your food, you get a big rush of glucose into your blood stream.

If you don't have diabetes, your body creates insulin to help the body's cells absorb the glucose.

The insulin works by affecting the uptake of a bunch of amino acids in the body except for one called tryptophan.

The concentration of tryptophan increases relative to other amino acids and, in the brain, tryptophan is converted to serotonin, which is itself converted to melatonin - both of which result in sleepiness! stevmk2

Will confirm all this around 13.00 today when I eat my fish 'n chips and round it off with a slice of bread pudding and custard. ZZZZZZZ
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 12:56 PM

So when my mom called meat 'n' tater pie idle pie, she knew what she was talking about.
It's certainly still true for me!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 02:56 PM

It's been my habit for many years to have a nap after lunch, providing it is convenient.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Power naps, are great. Refresh the batteries .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top