Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 02:09 PM

New law regarding headlight bulbs

It looks like the days of being dazzled by super-bright headlights are at last coming to an end.

' With astonishing clarity of thought and – bearing in mind what we’re seeing in other sectors – speed, the government issued an update to MOT testers. As of 1 January 2021, section 4.1.4 of the MOT Inspection manual reads: “Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.” '

Before this as long as the headlights worked and were aimed properly plus they had the correct beam pattern, a car would pass its MOT for that section.
Which meant that you could go on t'internet, find a seller overjoyed to take your cash while promising an ‘LED upgrade’ to your existing bulbs and voila!
Super-bright bulbs so you can supposedly see further but probably as a consequence then blinding other motorists.

It is hoped that this will prompt a British Standard to legalise those LED bulbs that are suitable and lead the world by bringing a car lighting regulation for Britain into the 21st Century.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/com...zling-clarity/
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 02:23 PM

Re: New law regarding headlight bulbs

Hallelujah I bloody hate them dazzling blue/white lights approaching, or in my rear view mirrors.

God knows how they ever got allowed in the first place.
Another reason why more coppers are required.

Next I hope they start hitting on the exhaust sound levels that are way to high these days.

Be nice to get some British Standard Level's back wouldn't it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Hallelujah I bloody hate them dazzling blue/white lights approaching, or in my rear view mirrors.

Next I hope they start hitting on the exhaust sound levels that are way to high these days.

Ditto. I detest the bloody things.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:59 PM

Especially on motor bicycles. Some of them even remove or degrade the silencers in order to make them even louder!

I'm not sure exactly why they get a kick out of doing it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Especially on motor bicycles. Some of them even remove or degrade the silencers in order to make them even louder!

To make them sound like a much bigger engine, JBR. When we lived in Italy, many teenagers had 30cc and 50cc mopeds with the silencers removed. One of them told me it was to make them sound like a 750cc Ducati SS .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
To make them sound like a much bigger engine, JBR. When we lived in Italy, many teenagers had 30cc and 50cc mopeds with the silencers removed. One of them told me it was to make them sound like a 750cc Ducati SS .
Well they're not fooling anyone!
Far too high-pitched compared to the real thing. They sound like a loud and angry fly in a bottle!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

We had this craze going on from last summer to around Christmas of cars back firing my dog was a bag of nerves.
Come to think of it made me jump on many occasions as well.
I mean what was that all about especially down Pitsea High Street at the end of our road.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-01-2021, 06:05 PM

We had this craze going on from last summer to around Christmas of cars back firing my dog was a bag of nerves.
Come to think of it made me jump on many occasions as well.
I mean what was that all about especially down Pitsea High Street at the end of our road.
Shove a potato up the exhaust pipe!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 06:21 PM

Like others are saying, I really, really hope this sees an end to those awful dazzling lights.
The lights alone are bad enough, but when the ignorants beggars don't even dip them, it is just plain dangerous and a serious road hazard.

I forget the actlual percentage now, but the AA said it was a huge percentage of accidents reported because of these headlights, but still nothing would be done.

I really hope this is the finish of them now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 07:43 PM

Well our vehicles are safe, we don't have any of the too bright bulbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top