Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Re: Grass

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Barry what do you use to scarify your lawn?
I use an electric scarifier Marian, rather like a small lawn mower but it just has revolving wires underneath that pulls out moss and dead grass. It wasn't expensive, around £50 I think five years ago, but it is sounding tired now so we might be needing to replace it before long...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2012, 09:45 PM

They are really good Marian. I believe Mountfield do one for about £40 now.
I bet Barry will agree that they make the lawn look untidy until it gets cut but it does do it good.
How often do you scarify Barry?
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Fired my mower up today and run it for a few minutes, If it is still dry tomorrow, I will have to try to cut it, and Marpaul, I bought an electric scarifier last year (well my son in law and I) and it is a really good thing to buy, the one we have is a Mountfield and it really does the job bought it from B&Q on a 10% day £110
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the info about scarifiers, electric seems like the way to go. I've got a hand one but its quite hard so I don't use it much as too time consuming as I've got a lot of moss!! I'll see if I can find a Mountfield one for £40 which is all my budget will allow! - hope it hasn't gone up to £110

So when you've got lots of bald patches having got rid of the moss do you then put grass seed down? or does grass come back or does the moss come back?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->

How often do you scarify Barry?
I only scarify once in the spring Jan..

Originally Posted by marpaul ->

So when you've got lots of bald patches having got rid of the moss do you then put grass seed down? or does grass come back or does the moss come back?
Once you've scarified you should just rake in some seed over the bare patches to give the grass a chance to get started before the weeds, just try to keep the seed damp until it's germinated..
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks Barry

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top