Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2012, 11:47 PM

Seattle to Build Nation’s First Food Forest

"It’s Not a Fairytale: Seattle to Build Nation’s First Food Forest

Forget meadows. The city’s new park will be filled with edible plants, and everything from pears to herbs will be free for the taking...

...it will be perennial and self-sustaining, like a forest is in the wild...

...we consider the soils, companion plants, insects, bugs—everything will be mutually beneficial to each other..."

link to the article

I worry that some folks will spoil this for everyone by taking far more than they need, perhaps selling it elsewhere, and that there will be vandalism. The article doesn't mention security. Comments?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Re: Seattle to Build Nation’s First Food Forest

It sounds a bit utopian to me Annie, but a nice idea. They just keep people out of it. Unless it is policed, I think people will take advantage, especially in a city park, and if something is for free, but perhaps Seattle folk behave differently to those living elsewhere.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 11:54 AM

We have something similar here on a tiny scale as 'guerilla gardeners' take over unused land in towns to grow food and flowers I understand this is a worldwide movement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...-gardener.html

Around the country, frustrated urban gardeners are digging up roundabouts; working mothers who can't get an allotment are spiking spears of asparagus into unused flower beds to grow their own; and office workers are throwing "seed bombs" out of their train window to brighten the daily commute.
They even had them on 'The Archers'
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Annie I think it is a lovely idea, let's hope it isn't ever vandalised and greedy people don't take more than their share. Schools could have parties of children going there and this would encourage responsibility for the future.
I approve of 'guerilla gardening' and have done a bit of seed throwing over next doors garden myself The man who lived there didn't garden, but was pleased to see the flowers that 'sprung up'
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Annie I think it is a lovely idea, let's hope it isn't ever vandalised and greedy people don't take more than their share. Schools could have parties of children going there and this would encourage responsibility for the future.
I approve of 'guerilla gardening' and have done a bit of seed throwing over next doors garden myself The man who lived there didn't garden, but was pleased to see the flowers that 'sprung up'
You are naughty. But I like you.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I'd be delighted if you were my neighbour! My neighbours cut down a dead tree last week and it toppled over the fence into my yard. They haven't said a word to me about it and I'm quite annoyed.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2012, 08:21 PM

I should think you were annoyed And not a word said to you!!
What do they think, that the garden fairies will chop it up and make it disappear?
I'm very annoyed for you.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

09-03-2012, 10:14 PM

The lady who owns it is a senior and very pleasant, but her adult son moved back in with her recently and he is a scary looking type with a foul mouth. The other neighbour's kids were playing in their own yard with their dog once and he yelled obscenities at them because of the barking and pitched an apple at the fence. My OH says he's going to cut it into smaller chunks and heave it back over the fence.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top