Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Sick Cactus

Where am I going wrong? I bought a cactus with three little ones nicely growing and they got bigger than all of a sudden their was five and then one flopped over and died and now another is on it's way out.

I have them in the correct pot and only water them when necessary, like when the pot feels light and quite dry. They are on the kitchen windowsill. Me thinks it's too damp and cold?

Advise appreciated please. I don't want to be a mass murderer after doing my poinsettia in.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Re: Sick Cactus

I think they need warmth Kath so maybe that is the reason. Could you put them near a radiator perhaps ?
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
I think they need warmth Kath so maybe that is the reason. Could you put them near a radiator perhaps ?
Yes I will thanks Dog Lover. I did transfer them to the living room on top of my tropical fish tank and they didn't take any harm. Just being me I had to move them back because they looked better!

I will put them back right now.

thank you x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 01:30 PM

I don't know very much about the care of cacti but I do know that the flowers only last a day in some species.
Do you know the name of your cactus, Kath?
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

14-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I don't know very much about the care of cacti but I do know that the flowers only last a day in some species.
Do you know the name of your cactus, Kath?
Sorry mags I don't know I bought them from a Strikers garden centre locally, they aren't fancy ones. I will ask next time I visit the centre.

I'll keep them in a warm place and feed them with baby bio see how they go on. They did seem to buck up last time I gave them baby bio.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Know what you mean Kath, I put things where they should be and then think Oh no they will look better there and Bingo they die, not too worry we keep Strikers going, we have one up here in Carlisle.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Watering, light and heat.....once you've got it right, you won't kill it.

Allow to dry out but only water a little, too much and it will weaken the plant and it may split.
Once a fortnight during the summer.

Cacti need sunlight or good light and turn them occasionally.

They can tolerate heat, as long as it isn't like an oven and they are ok with cold, as long
as they are dry.

So, a windowsill is perfect, even with a radiator underneath.
A cold place and too much water and it will rot.

Hope this helps
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 07:10 PM

I think Janela is right on this. They need no water at all over winter and cold is fine as long as it's dry. Start watering tiny amounts in spring and very sparingly every couple of weeks during the summer...The danger with cacti is killing with kindness, neglect works wonders for some plants...
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Cacti, like the warm days and cold nights, I have one that lives in my greenhouse all year round, sadly neglected, not been repotted for years, but every spring I water it when I remember, and it gives me a beautiful display of flowers every summer....
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

16-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Thank you all for your advice. I have moved the cactus into the living room and fed it some babybio will see how it gets on in it's new home.

Failing that I'll stick to plastic flowers/plants!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top