Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Re: My new toy (chainsaw)

Looks like you'll find plenty of uses for it Azz, good investment, I wish you hours of fun.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Oh right ................. thank goodness for that!
What did you think it was Mary the remains of a troublesome neighbour perhaps
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Lol I have to say I was a bit worried too to begin with, but was reading the reviews and came across one which said something like....

So I thought if she can use it with no problem then I can at least give it a go

Ps the black thing is a stump from the last bonfire
Does it have a dead mans handle Azz I would be scared of tripping up while using it
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Does it have a dead mans handle Azz I would be scared of tripping up while using it
What's a dead man's handle, Meg?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

27-03-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What's a dead man's handle, Meg?
Mags You have them on things like lawnmowers, if you remove the pressure on the handle by taking your hand off the device stops .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mags You have them on things like lawnmowers, if you remove the pressure on the handle by taking your hand off the device stops .
Ahh ...... thanks for the explanation Meg
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 11:16 PM

I was going to ask what that meant too - fitting name

Yes, it has a trigger, once your finger comes off it stops - also it has a button on the side too, which must be pressed in order for it to start. And it even has a 'break' although I'm not quite sure what use that would be.

It's actually well designed, as soon you take your finger off the trigger the blades seem to disconnect from the motor - so although the motor keeps going round the blade doesn't.

I am using a ladder, but am making sure it is secure and not going up too much. Also, I am using gloves and goggles - but wish I wore some sleeves as my arms are all scratched :/

Btw I found that lady's review:

"made light work of the task, cutting through the branches with ease. Lightweight , I even used it....a 50 year old woman."
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 11:19 PM

Oooh-er. That looks lethal, so do be careful.

That black thing looks like a doglet. It even has an eye. Glad it's just an old stump.
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 08:15 PM

I inherited some chainsaw gear a while back and was planning to take a day course advertised, after all it's handy to know which way to fell a tree! Unfortunately life got in the way as usual.
They do scare me a bit. Maybe I'll stick to pruning with secateurs.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bridgefield ->
I inherited some chainsaw gear a while back and was planning to take a day course advertised, after all it's handy to know which way to fell a tree! Unfortunately life got in the way as usual.
They do scare me a bit. Maybe I'll stick to pruning with secateurs.
Is it a petrol one Lynn? Some of them are aimed at professionals so might not have the saftey features the consumer ones have? (So be careful! )

If it does have all the safety features then it's actually not too bad.

I actually felled 3 trees today so was quite chuffed with that

This might be of help:

Although they don't really show how to cut the tree - where you need to cut out a triangle on one side (the side you want it to fall) then cut a straight line from the other side. Ideally you want someone with you so it doesn't fall on you - and I would only do small trees myself, get the pros in to do the big ones

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top