Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 01:05 AM

Re: What can be done with this bit of land?

Loving your garden Meg, looks so neat and tidy

Azz - Even if no decking is laid, I have a lovely pair of wellies I can wear But you must promise to hide your chainsaw

Seriously though, whatever you decide on doing, I wish you luck......looks like it's no small job!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 01:10 AM

I just can not tell you how jealous I am. My back garden is an absolute disgrace because I can no longer do anything with it since Gordon died as it's too much hard work for me.

It is so over-grown that I can barely see down to the bottom and, if I ever got the courage to don a pith helmet and elephant gun, I might perhaps find an as yet unknown tribe of human species who have built straw huts down there.

Seriously, it really is that bad, so I congratulate those of you who are able to keep your gardens in good condition.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Azz, if flooding is a problem I would hire a small digger and pile the lot on the banking to make a flood prevention barrier and turn it into a rock garden.

Lovely Garden Meg and it looks so private and peaceful.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 08:38 AM

I looks a very daunting task, but there have been some good suggestions. Good luck Azz, whatever you decide to do.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Thanks guys - well there's some good news and bad news

Bad news first - my guesstimate was way off it's actually 33ft (maybe 34 at a push) long and 40ft wide

Good news - that means it'll be cheaper to sort out

Here's some more pics showing how deep the bricks and rubble are:

Although it's mostly rubble, I know there's a steel tank in there and a wheel barrow, plus when we had bonfires all the neighbours used to come around for a drink... and some of us stupidly smashed the glass bottles - so there's probably glass dotted around :/

Antibrown - might the council see that as 'littering'? Or will they accept I am doing it as a 'flood barrier'? :/
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 05:20 PM

That is a huge sized space Azz, I didn't realise it was that big.

Meg you got a smashing looking garden.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Wow - Quite a lot of ground then Azz. That looks like quite a big job. You might need one of those digger/shoveller things and it could be quite expensive to clear it up. Forget the chickens suggestion - deck the lot of it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Thought of selling it to Tesco, they could use another superstore...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2012, 11:45 PM

Lol Barry - it's not that big

Thanks to everyone who posted I will be saving this thread for future reference!

We still have the house to finish off yet, but as I've been chopping down those Laylandii I sort of got into the spirit of things

I really like the idea of decking, especially at the end as that would be lovely in the summer (as it overlooks the river). So maybe that and a timber boardwalk and the rest can be potted plants to hide the rubble (although I was hoping for something dog friendly).

I guess it's all dreams yet - will have to win the lottery first

Thanks again for all your help - I'd never have thought of half of what you all posted :grin:
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 07:15 AM

Azz, have a word with your local councillor and tell them what you are planning to do so that they could give you advice.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top