Join for free
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Gro-beds

Has anyone used these at all

http://email.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/r...r/112137/e/360

Sound really good if you are short of beds to grow veg in. I already grow potatoes in bags and these look really good for other veg. Due to garden design by prevous owners I have no actual beds in the back that I can dig so everything has to be grown in containers. I'm thinking of getting some to grow lettuces in.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Re: Gro-beds

I usually use Levington gro-bag's. Last year the Co-Op were selling them at £2.50 each. I use them for salad crops and tomatoes obviously and then dig the used compost into my vegetable patch.

http://www.creativegardenideas.co.uk/levington-gro-bag
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:22 PM

These are fine for tomatoes and runner beans Paul but the gro-beds will give a much greater depth of soil from the look of them and can be used again and again by refilling them with compost. Gro bags are a bit different and have been around for ages of course.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:28 PM

That's true, but you don't need much depth for lettuce. Mine do fine.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 06:16 PM

I think these are a bit of a rip off as well Val, why bother when you can just cut into a bag of compost laid on it's side,as you will have to buy the compost separately anyway.....
The Dog Lover
Watford

19-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I think these are a bit of a rip off as well Val, why bother when you can just cut into a bag of compost laid on it's side,as you will have to buy the compost separately anyway.....
The thing is Barry I have no beds in my garden so everything has to be grown in containers. These are a good size and will give the equivalent of a small flower bed and easily moved around as well. Yes I have to buy the compost but I would anyway and 3 of these bags will last and last.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Fair enough Val, if it's going to work for you then enough said....
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2012, 12:32 PM

I would not pay the price they want for the bags.
I have grown lettuce in small square tubs also young onions radishes and beetroot on my allotment. People use lots of different containers to grow their veg in. Many use old baths to grow carrots in. Because you need to make sure carrots are about 18" off the ground, so they don't get carrot flys eating into them. I use an old water tank to grow veg in. I have seen tomatoes growing in hanging basket down at the allotment. Surprising what you see veggies growing in.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top