Join for free
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 05:14 PM

How do you fare, planting your annuals.

For those of us with medical conditions etc., that stop us from kneeling or bending for too long (or at all) how do you cope with planting out annual bedding?

Hubby likes to do the planting and he has a plastic garden chair which he drags around, to do the job sitting down. With the aid of a long handled fork and trowel, he manages very well and I do the 'firming in' with my delicate size 4's
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Re: How do you fare, planting your annuals.

Sounds like Team Work lol. Where's there's the Will.....There's the Way.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 07:25 PM

I sometimes kneel down or use my 'seat':

If you turn it up the other way, you can push yourself up quite easily...
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 07:37 PM

If you are determined enough you will find a way. I get to do the planting as my husband has bad knees. He gets to cut lawns and hedges. I think I have the best job.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 08:20 PM

All my bedding plants (i don't have many) are in tubs and containers I planted the garden with shrubs and herbaceous plants some years ago and covered the ground with bark chippings for low maintenance as I get older . My veg and strawberries are in raised beds too.

Janela I am pleased your husband can still enjoy gardening which ever method he uses.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks Meg and all. I did think of one of those seats Mags but if he can't get up, it is getting harder to help him. And he would be quite embarrassed showing 'weakness' - you know how men are, with their silly pride
Meg, he can do any job in the garden, as long as he's sitting down

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top