Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Re: Flooding.....

What is worse, is that the water flooding into their houses isn’t nice fresh water but horrible sewage water.
I understand, when it’s dried out, they can’t just paint over the damage. The floors, skirting boards and some of the plaster has to be removed and re done. Otherwise, if it’s left it becomes a health risk.

I think, more money should be spent on anti flooding work in the areas where flooding is likely to happen.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Had a drive past the river Don this afternoon on some backroads that hadn't been closed yet.....
Here, we are on the road beside, and below the river which is now spilling over the pilings and across the road.....

I had to take this picture from the car as the water was around six inch deep on the road.....

After we reached the end of the pilings the river was pouring over the bank and becoming a bit frightening.....Time to move on.....

Looking back as we drove away, you can see several places where the banks had been breached...The river is allowed to flood this side, apart from the odd farm it's mainly arable land. Doncaster lies on the other side of the river and the banks are a little higher.

No way back home this way, the bridge was closed to vehicles but not to runners hopefully. This bridge is on my regular Sunday route....

Looking upstream today......

And this is what the river normally looks like upstream from the same location....

Those images look deceptively pretty, but there is a phenomenal amount of pressure on those river banks and flood defences.

I used to live in Bessacarr; my brother went to Donny Grammar and I went to Danum Grammar as was, so I (used to ) know the area well.

I never remembered seeing flooding like that in all the years I lived there. The river Don was infamous for being the second most polluted river in the country, but wonders have been done since to bring it up to recreational standards.

There are a lot of abandoned mine workings in the area and I have visions of millions of tons of water ripping holes in the land as a result.

As for the farms, when the Somerset Levels flooded a few years ago, the farmers of Oop Norf including Yorkshire came to our rescue. Convoys of fodder and equipment were sent south west, cattle were moved north, and permanent friendships were formed.

A few years later the converse happened when the north flooded and conveys went up from Somerset and environs.

Fear not, help will come; it is being planned now. It may even be on its way.

Get home OGF, get stocked up with essentials, and have an evacuation plan.

Stay safe chap.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
OGF I'm glad your ok but obviously feel for all those people . I cant imagine the horror . I would bet there are people not insured too . Awful

a genuine question , what can be done to stop this because once a flood always a flood surely it mustn't be allowed to happen again .
The power of nature is difficult to tame Susan, stopping flooding in one place just encourages it in another.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What phenomenal engineering! Good history there.

Those are spectacular photos, OGF, but I am sorry for those who will be affected. There really is no damage like water damage, and it's a mess to clean up aftewards. Do you all have private or government flood insurance for you property over there?
House insurance is optional here Surfermom, most people are covered but some are not. The cost of insurance in high risk areas is prohibitive for some people and are not able to fully cover their property.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:55 PM

Bonkers times, weather wise, too much Low Pressure.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Though your eyes see shipwrecked sailors you're still dry
The outlook's fine though Wales might have some rain
Saved again.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Those images look deceptively pretty, but there is a phenomenal amount of pressure on those river banks and flood defences.

I used to live in Bessacarr; my brother went to Donny Grammar and I went to Danum Grammar as was, so I (used to ) know the area well.

I never remembered seeing flooding like that in all the years I lived there. The river Don was infamous for being the second most polluted river in the country, but wonders have been done since to bring it up to recreational standards.

There are a lot of abandoned mine workings in the area and I have visions of millions of tons of water ripping holes in the land as a result.

As for the farms, when the Somerset Levels flooded a few years ago, the farmers of Oop Norf including Yorkshire came to our rescue. Convoys of fodder and equipment were sent south west, cattle were moved north, and permanent friendships were formed.

A few years later the converse happened when the north flooded and conveys went up from Somerset and environs.

Fear not, help will come; it is being planned now. It may even be on its way.

Get home OGF, get stocked up with essentials, and have an evacuation plan.

Stay safe chap.
Thanks Fruitcake, it's heartwarming to see the goodwill expressed by the farmers during the floods. The water doesn't usually reach our little cul-de-sac but never say never so I will heed your advice.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:30 PM

There are two things that could/should be done to prevent flooding on this scale.

1) Dredge the rivers - use the silt to build up the banks.

2) Stop building on the flood plains!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The power of nature is difficult to tame Susan, stopping flooding in one place just encourages it in another.

Yes, that makes sense Foxy.

I spoke to a friend of mine in Sheffield tonight, and she is safe, and another one in Derby and he is safe too thank goodness.

It's been raining again here since about 6 pm, and hasn't stopped.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:29 AM

All very worrying . I feel for you all .

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top