Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Re: Flooding.....

I grew up learning about a Dutch engineer called 'Vermuyden' he was resposnsible for most of the flood defences around these parts. But after poking around on google it seems that flooding in Fishlake goes back to the 1600's.....

By the period of 1621 to 1623, Vermuyden was working in England, where his first projects were on the River Thames, repairing a sea wall at Dagenham and working to reclaim Canvey Island, Essex. The latter project was financed by Joas Croppenburg, a Dutch haberdasher to whom Vermuyden was related by marriage.[3]
This, or perhaps work at Windsor, brought him to the notice of Charles I, who commissioned him in 1626 to drain Hatfield Chase in the Isle of Axholme, Lincolnshire. The King was Lord of the four principal manors there: Hatfield, Epworth, Crowle and Misterton, as well as 13 of the adjacent manors, and he wanted to expand the cultivable area. Vermuyden was to receive one third of the drained land, most of which had previously been commons, as recompense for his investment. To finance the drainage project, he sold shares in this land to other investors, including some fellow Dutchmen. Some French and Walloon Protestant refugees also settled in the area as landowners or tenants.[4] The King intended to enclose one third of the common fen in his right of "improvement" as the Lord of the Manor, leaving one-third for those local residents who had common rights of pasturage in the fens.
The work on Hatfield Chase was only partially successful: the straightening of the river Don and outlet into the Aire caused flooding in Fishlake, Sykehouse and Snaith. As a result of a lawsuit in 1633, Vermuyden dug the Dutch River, which provided a direct route from the Don to the River Ouse at Goole. It required him to deplete most of the land that he had acquired in the Chase. The same year he bought 4,000 acres (1,619 ha) of land in Sedgemoor on the Somerset Levels and Malvern Chase in Worcestershire; he also entered into a partnership in the lead mines in Wirksworth, which he drained by means of a sough.

I'm not criticising Vermuyden, but the land that he reclaimed, nature seems to be fighting back....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Wonder why this happening ,never used to .
Is it because the greedy developers are building on flood plain land ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Wonder why this happening ,never used to .
Is it because the greedy developers are building on flood plain land ?
After living almost seventy years in the same place Apricot, I can only speak for round here and it's been flooding at Fishlake since my Dad was a boy.....Hence the name....

If you read my previous post you will see that most of the land here was reclaimed by a Dutch Engineer called Vermuyden, and it seems the flooding has been occurring here since at least the 1600's....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 09:11 PM

Oh dear
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Oh dear
Sorry Apricot, I didn't mean to be patronising or overbearing.
But they build up flood defences in one place and it just encourages flooding in another, and now it's moved to Fishlake, and there are more houses there so it just seems like it's got worse....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 03:34 PM

As if the poor bastards haven't suffered enough, Corbyn and Swinson have turned up using their predicament as part of their election campaigns.

It's an absolute disgrace that they would use the flood victims' situation for political points scoring. Corbyn trying to gain back Labour Leave supporters and Swinson appealing to the Remain voters.

Despicable.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
As if the poor bastards haven't suffered enough, Corbyn and Swinson have turned up using their predicament as part of their election campaigns.

It's an absolute disgrace that they would use the flood victims' situation for political points scoring. Corbyn trying to gain back Labour Leave supporters and Swinson appealing to the Remain voters.

Despicable.

Couldn't agree more, Judd.
I thought just the same as you.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 03:56 PM

I heard on the News at lunchtime that Jeremy Corbyn reckons the Government response would have quicker if the flooding had occurred in Surrey.

I live in Surrey and am very certain that it wouldn't. He is indeed just playing politics with the situation.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Despicable.
I hope the residents of Doncaster (strong Labour constituency) take heed of this dirty tricks campaign and send them packing on polling day....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 06:46 PM

Despicable.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Couldn't agree more, Judd.
I thought just the same as you.
Me too! Disgraceful point scoring at the expense of flood victims. I just hope that everyone can see through them as we have.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top