Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 07:22 AM

Re: Someone Turns Up On Your Doorstep....

I would be interested to know what the connection was....but if I suspected they were up to no good i would send them to meet a couple of my cousins...that would scare them off
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 08:05 AM

Depends, if they were bearing gifts.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 08:33 AM

To me, family are the people you know & care about,so I would tell them to contact Long Lost Family & give them my number, when they could prove the person was a member of my family.
If they had sent me a letter with all the details, so I could check before they arrived, I would be willing to talk to them over the internet... but to be honest I am not really interested in meeting somebody who may have had a sexual relationship with one of my relatives!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:11 AM

I remember when the internet was relatively new, pre-facebook, pre- lots of the family tree sites. I can't remember how it worked exactly but I had emails from across the pond ... people saying they had the same name as me, we must be related! Could have been scams, or maybe that's what they like to do in the US, find their roots. I ignored it all.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Well with all my family history, it could be true. Poland, American, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Israel. But I would want to know, what was in it for me?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 11:49 AM

I'd just silently shut the door. There's no long-lost relatives that I'd want to see. That's why they're long-lost in the first place. I haven't seen some for 50 years and that's how I like it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:02 PM

I had a long lost relative and his wife turn up on my doorstep one evening just after Christmas about 5 years ago. I vaguely recognised him as a cousin who I hadn't seen since childhood. I invited them in to be told that an Aunt of mine had died at the age of 99. He had driven all the way from London to give me the news personally, which was very thoughtful of him. We met again at the funeral and have kept in touch since.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Put them in the cupboard, with the other skeletons.

No room in mine.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I remember when the internet was relatively new, pre-facebook, pre- lots of the family tree sites. I can't remember how it worked exactly but I had emails from across the pond ... people saying they had the same name as me, we must be related! Could have been scams, or maybe that's what they like to do in the US, find their roots. I ignored it all.
You mean there are more people called d00d?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I had a long lost relative and his wife turn up on my doorstep one evening just after Christmas about 5 years ago. I vaguely recognised him as a cousin who I hadn't seen since childhood. I invited them in to be told that an Aunt of mine had died at the age of 99. He had driven all the way from London to give me the news personally, which was very thoughtful of him. We met again at the funeral and have kept in touch since.
Perhaps he had fond memories of your childhood Mags.
I have 2 cousins that I remember from being a child but I haven't seen them for years as one lives in Australia & the other in Spain but we keep up to date with what each other are doing via e mail or taxt.

I know them quite well but if it was a stranger at my door I am not sure I would be too welcoming!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top