Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 12:56 AM

Re: World's largest living organism

Very beautiful! Thank you, realspeed.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 02:29 AM

[QUOTE=realspeed;1983428]Been there and seen them in Muir woods

Common mistake, realspeed, but Muir woods is a Redwood tree park. Located in Marin County, just North of San Francisco and quite near the Pacific Ocean. Sequoia National Park, where the Sequoia trees are and where all my photos are, is located high in the mountains just south of Yosemite National Park.

Just for general information
Muir woods is at the extreme southern limit of the Redwood range. Yes, there are a few scattered Redwoods even a tad south of san Francisco , but they are a scraggly, poor version of the tall, healthy Redwoods of Northern Coastal Region.
To maintain a proper health, Redwoods need a fine mist which drifts off the Pacific , but that only happens well North of Muir Woods.
Anyone who ever gets a chance to visit the San Francisco area, I suggest you jump on highway 101 and head north for 3-4 hours until you hit "The Avenue of The Giants"

As you can see from the maps, Muir Woods is only 33 mile from the big city.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	14011  
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 03:18 AM

During the early 1970's, I was lucky enough to have a cabin smack in the middle of a Redwood grove in Arcata, CA. This photo is NOT mine but quite similar.

There was a 150 meter path, winding through the Redwoods, that I could take that led me to cliffs, high above the Pacific Ocean. I spent the happiest days of my life living there, raising my 3 year-old daughter...my little perfect angel.

I realize this is WAY OFF TRACK but I have a story to share, about my daughter and I, from those days living in that cabin.
Once, just after we took a shower, (she absolutely hated being bathed but would shower with me and played with her rubber toys). I wrapped her in a thick giant towel and set her on the sofa. Just then my GF asked me to take out the garbage and I took it and walked out the front door. I didn't realize it but my little pixie had shaken off the towel and followed me. As I turned around, after dumping the garbage, I got a vision from heaven. My darling had followed me, in her birthday suit, and was standing under a giant fern frond. She was so incredibly beautiful , standing under that fern, that I could not but help tearing up. I picked her up, held her close to my chest and cried like a baby. Oh God, I was so happy.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Redwood Forest Cabin California.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	14012  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 07:23 AM

While those trees are pretty big I don't think they are the World's largest living organism. I am sure I read somewhere that it was a fungus which stretches for many kilometres as one living thing. I think it was in the USA though.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
While those trees are pretty big I don't think they are the World's largest living organism. I am sure I read somewhere that it was a fungus which stretches for many kilometres as one living thing. I think it was in the USA though.
Perhaps you are thinking of this one Bruce? It's certainly enormous according to information on the link below (also more for me to add to the never-ending curve of life-long learning):

https://www.newscientist.com/article...hs-400-tonnes/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 11:41 AM

You mean a fine mist like this covering the Golden Gate bridge?

I do have another video of SF bay covered in mist as well
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Perhaps you are thinking of this one Bruce? It's certainly enormous according to information on the link below (also more for me to add to the never-ending curve of life-long learning):

https://www.newscientist.com/article...hs-400-tonnes/
That huge underground fungus is amazing too, Baz. It's almost frightening at the size these trees and fungi can grow to.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think the trees are the biggest by weight Brucy? But the fungus
is biggest by area?
Just a guess as usual !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, there is a very pleasant aroma to them. A nice clean pine forest smell.
It sounds lovely Bakerman, I wish we had smelly-vision. I love the smell of pine and forests.

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
During the early 1970's, I was lucky enough to have a cabin smack in the middle of a Redwood grove in Arcata, CA. This photo is NOT mine but quite similar.

There was a 150 meter path, winding through the Redwoods, that I could take that led me to cliffs, high above the Pacific Ocean. I spent the happiest days of my life living there, raising my 3 year-old daughter...my little perfect angel.

I realize this is WAY OFF TRACK but I have a story to share, about my daughter and I, from those days living in that cabin.
Once, just after we took a shower, (she absolutely hated being bathed but would shower with me and played with her rubber toys). I wrapped her in a thick giant towel and set her on the sofa. Just then my GF asked me to take out the garbage and I took it and walked out the front door. I didn't realize it but my little pixie had shaken off the towel and followed me. As I turned around, after dumping the garbage, I got a vision from heaven. My darling had followed me, in her birthday suit, and was standing under a giant fern frond. She was so incredibly beautiful , standing under that fern, that I could not but help tearing up. I picked her up, held her close to my chest and cried like a baby. Oh God, I was so happy.
I'm afraid I'm heartily jealous Bakerman, you were very lucky to have your cabin in such a beautiful place.
What a lovely story too. Treasured memories.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 10:16 PM

Sorry Bakerman, I only visited this thread because I misread the title.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top