New Member!
Torbay, uk
Charlie152 is male 

01-09-2019, 10:19 PM

Anxiety and depression

How to overcome a mental illness
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Re: Anxiety and depression

I'm not sure if you ever really overcome anxiety and depression, I think that it is more a case of managing and coping with it and trying to put your own situation into a perspective that may help you feel that things could be worse and therefore make your problem seem smaller and more manageable.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie152 ->

Apologies but I'm a bit confused Charlie?
Was that a question or was it to help others who have a problem please? Was there meant to be a link?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:49 PM

That would be some link!.."Mental illness" is a huge subject. Maybe it was a question. If it is my answer is simple. Don't keep it to yourself. You're a man like me. Therefore You are more vulnerable to A&D because we suck a lot more than women do at asking for help. So if you haven't, get yourself a good GP. Ask for a referral to somebody who you can talk to. Unload..share the problem with a professional. Somebody who can help you look at your risk factors and your life circumstances..change the things you can, dispense with the stressful things that you can afford to and to cope better with the things you can't. When we are immersed in the thick sludge of depression feeling overloaded and drowning, we often overlook the practical things we can do to make things better. Good support is the first step. There is a place for medication but it HAS to be carefully prescribed and monitored frequently. IT often takes time to get the balance right.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
That would be some link!.."Mental illness" is a huge subject. Maybe it was a question. If it is my answer is simple. Don't keep it to yourself. You're a man like me. Therefore You are more vulnerable to A&D because we suck a lot more than women do at asking for help. So if you haven't, get yourself a good GP. Ask for a referral to somebody who you can talk to. Unload..share the problem with a professional. Somebody who can help you look at your risk factors and your life circumstances..change the things you can, dispense with the stressful things that you can afford to and to cope better with the things you can't. When we are immersed in the thick sludge of depression feeling overloaded and drowning, we often overlook the practical things we can do to make things better. Good support is the first step. There is a place for medication but it HAS to be carefully prescribed and monitored frequently. IT often takes time to get the balance right.

I seem to have misunderstood, Keezoy.
I didn't see it phrased as a question as there was no question mark.

Apologies, Charlie.
Keezoy has given some good advice.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
I'm not sure if you ever really overcome anxiety and depression, I think that it is more a case of managing and coping with it and trying to put your own situation into a perspective that may help you feel that things could be worse and therefore make your problem seem smaller and more manageable.
Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Such excellent posts.
Thank you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie152 ->
Welcome to the forum, Charlie!
Rather cryptic matey. Are you stating a fact or was there something else to follow? Are you selling something?

On the subject, yes it's a big deal. A horrible thing to have to contend with.

Regards.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 03:12 AM

Physical fitness
self discipline
good friends
good partner
good doctor
medication
healthy life affirming hobbies
music
art
spiritual guidance
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Physical fitness
self discipline
good friends
good partner
good doctor
medication
music
art
spiritual guidance
Hey Presh!..Welcome back. I thought we'd lost you. Hope all is well. They are all self evidently good things to have yes. But I would see them as more end goals than prerequisites. Good doctor is the logical start.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Physical fitness
self discipline
good friends
good partner
good doctor
medication
music
art
spiritual guidance
Medication? Last resort!

I agree with most of the rest - though someone may have to explain what a "life affirming" hobby is?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top