Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:59 PM

Re: Typewriters

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, the awful spell checker that needs to go back to school to learn how to spell! Everyone should always check what they have typed before posting, spell checkers are often quite useless!

Almost every kind of printing has been experienced during my 55-year working life. I started out with a six-year apprenticeship at a general printers. Then into book and general printing, followed by newspapers. Next it was the advertising industry and then finally working as self-employed doing anything and everything, including producing and publishing a magazine for the last twelve years before retiring. Definitely a varied and interesting working life, from the old, traditional 'hot metal' methods to the latest modern computerised technology and all in the same trade too.

Baz, sounds like you really enjoyed your time as a printer. Certainly lots of variety. Good on ya!

Be honest now, which was most enjoyable or satisfying method - traditional or modern?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
My sister's carer (and her son) set up and run an online typewriter shop. Just in case anyone's interested
Dex, thanks for the link. I note they all seem to be portable - does that mean there's less interest in uprights? Good on 'em BTW.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Let's not forget the more important stuff about typewriters....Columbo caught one murderer and freaked out another through the use of a clues left on typewriters
Good old Coluumbo - he never fails
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Strangely enough, I had a go at typing without looking at the keys yesterday. You would think that after approximately twenty years of using a keyboard, my fingers would remember where the letters are. The result.....

It cawme auy s bio hnks yhis (It came out a bit like this)

Shocking!!!!!

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
As a Radio Officer, in Cunard (1955) we had to download the news, from, for example, American Radio Stations (Amaganset?) out there on the Atlantic.

That came at you at around 30 wpm, which is a bit fast for Morse.

We were advised to use typewriters as converting Morse code to hand writing got tricky at those speeds.

Mistakes were made - sometimes on the horse racing results! That went down well (not always) with the on ship Bookies!

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Many moons ago I used to type on a manual typewriter whilst receiving morse code over headphones, it became a lot easier when computer/ electric keyboards came into use. I still have an electric typewriter somewhere in the attic, no doubt a home for spiders now
Ted and Vlad - my mind boggles at the thought of trying to translate (?) morse code - listening to all the dots and dashes and making head or tail of them while they come through so fast and trying to get it all down.

Watching the old films when they're listening to morse and replying, I can't even differentiate between the dots and dashes

I'm in awe of you both
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 09:25 PM

BTW, I've enjoyed reading all your comments and memories, thanks everyone
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 09:26 PM

I found this online .. Strange or what

In a way I get it, but no way would I consider it for relaxation. I'd much prefer listening to the ocean or nature:

Typing a Letter with an Olivetti Typewriter for ASMR & Relaxation! ..

Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
As a Radio Officer, in Cunard (1955) we had to download the news, from, for example, American Radio Stations (Amaganset?) out there on the Atlantic.

That came at you at around 30 wpm, which is a bit fast for Morse.

We were advised to use typewriters as converting Morse code to hand writing got tricky at those speeds.

Mistakes were made - sometimes on the horse racing results! That went down well (not always) with the on ship Bookies!

(
Trying to write the football results at about 20wpm
was fun.
Did you use a bug key (paddle) key Ted?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Ted and Vlad - my mind boggles at the thought of trying to translate (?) morse code - listening to all the dots and dashes and making head or tail of them while they come through so fast and trying to get it all down.

Watching the old films when they're listening to morse and replying, I can't even differentiate between the dots and dashes

I'm in awe of you both
I still listen to morse transmissions on the web just to keep my ear in.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
I still listen to morse transmissions on the web just to keep my ear in.
Well done you... seriously!
Are you still able to translate as well as you did? (Is translate the right word?)

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top