Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Re: Petrol changes

Many, many years ago the NSW government made all petrol stations stock E10 (10% ethanol) but it is no good for boats (ethanol absorbs water) and some small motors because the ethanol dissolves certain products in the fuel system. However all cars sold in Australia must be able to take E10 and 91 octane fuel.

Ethanol is made from farm waste by a NSW company called Manildra so adding it makes petrol cheaper to buy.

There used to be a web site that told you if your older car can take E10 - found it!

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...nol-fuel-23625

I have a diesel so it doesn't worry me but I always buy unleaded for my generators and mower (costs 2c/L more). As for bio-diesel a lot of people used to make their own by buying up used oil from chicken or hamburger joints but businesses have cottoned on to this so it is harder to get though you do get the odd truck drive past who's exhaust smells of fish or chicken.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I didn't know about this, glad I read it here. I can see a heck of a lot of people being confused initially about this, thanks for telling us mupsy x

I am glad it's not just me not keeping up with these things.

I think it's crazy to just change something thousands of people use daily without any publicity or warnings.
No wonder the bloke in the garage looks so fed up with explaining to customers. He must be doing it all day long.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am glad it's not just me not keeping up with these things.

I think it's crazy to just change something thousands of people use daily without any publicity or warnings.
No wonder the bloke in the garage looks so fed up with explaining to customers. He must be doing it all day long.
If it was me, I would make my own signs and stick them on the pumps. I always wonder why people are prepared to sit there being asked the same question all day long but don't help themselves.

Our local garage has not changed so far but my guess is it will be last to do so behind all the bigger companies. Whata a waste of money.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If it was me, I would make my own signs and stick them on the pumps. I always wonder why people are prepared to sit there being asked the same question all day long but don't help themselves.

Our local garage has not changed so far but my guess is it will be last to do so behind all the bigger companies. Whata a waste of money.

Yes, I agree with all you say Dongle . . . . that's a first!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Yes, I agree with all you say Dongle - that's a first!
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Thank you for the heads up Mups - like everyone else I hadn't heard about it. I filled up last Sunday and everything was the same as always - I shall see what happens next time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Thank you for the heads up Mups - like everyone else I hadn't heard about it. I filled up last Sunday and everything was the same as always - I shall see what happens next time.

Yes, I didn't have a problem last week either, Margaret.
It was just at Waitrose yesterday.

The link Baz46 put up is a good one
, so hope he doesn't mind me putting it up again.

https://knowyourfuel.campaign.gov.uk
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a diesel so it doesn't worry me but I always buy unleaded for my generators and mower (costs 2c/L more). As for bio-diesel a lot of people used to make their own by buying up used oil from chicken or hamburger joints but businesses have cottoned on to this so it is harder to get though you do get the odd truck drive past who's exhaust smells of fish or chicken.

Yes, I know someone who did that. He has a new diesel now, so doesn't do it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Then you would get the sack LD you can't go round putting up your own signs and labels, despite them being to help customers. One of my husbands colleagues found that out the hard way when he put a label on the vending machines saying the HC wasn't working, if it wasn't an officially made sign he wasn't allowed to use it.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 10:24 AM

That's exactly what I said, Floydy.
Why on earth not put in brackets 'unleaded' as well, so everyone understood?

I guess that is too simple and logical though!
Thanks for the heads up on that Mups, I wasn’t aware that it would be changing.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top