Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Tracks

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This is true mate and those two added so much to the forum. They loved their music and we had some wonderful discussions.
I think we should dedicate this thread to them.
Good idea Floydy and thanks for the cover pic. It's like going back in time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Today's batch.
Hope you don't mind the slight change to the type-setting.

No.958-We Have All The Time In The World-Louis Armstrong-1969
From the James Bond movie “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” and re-issued to become a top three hit single in 1994 when it was used as a Guinness advert starring Rutger Hauer.

No.957-San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)-Scott Mckenzie-1967
Sums up the hippie era of Haight Ashbury in the summer of ’67. Written by The Lovin’ Spoonful’s John Sebastian.

No.956-The Hungry Years-Neil Sedaka-1975
I only heard this for the first time about five years ago on Radio 2 whilst driving. One of

No.955-Jack In The Box-Moments-1977
The Moments like Tavares, The Trammps, The Stylistics and a million other silky soul acts of the 70’s were of their time. ‘Jack In The Box’ is typical of the mellow orchestration of those silver-suited afro-wearing dance acts.

No.954-The Best Disco In Town-Ritchie Family-1976
Staying with disco-soul, one of the first medleys to appear on a hit single since the big band sounds of the 1950’s, this was a forerunner to the Stars on 45 segue singles of the early 80’s.

No.953-Stars-Simply Red-1989
One of Mick Hucknall’s finest moments, in fact my favourite of theirs. A very well-constructed single from a massive-selling album.

No952-A Slow Song-Joe Jackson-1982
From the concept album “Night And Day” recorded in New York, where Joe Jackson subsequently made his home, this epic weary ballad closed side one of the record.

No.951-Sweet Gene Vincent -Ian Dury-1977
Early Ian Dury from his debut LP ‘New Boots & Panties’. A jazz-tinkling intro merges into a frantic semi-rap and then a full-on rock ‘n’ roll song. Great single.

The New Romantics are coming…
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 01:53 PM

They would all be on my list too apart from Simply Red, never been a fan although I do appreciate that he has a good voice.

No.957-San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)-Scott Mckenzie-1967
As you say, this really sums up the Hippy era and having been there I can appreciate that song even more now.

Superb song with poignant words. I like most of his songs anyway.

lots of Afros around at that time (like now really). You mentioned Tavares who had some massive hits in the 70's - More than a woman, Don't take away the music and my favourite - Whodunit?

Jack in the box is a nice song - I can't think of any other hits from them.

Ian Dury - legend!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
The sound of Stones to me epitomizes the excitement of the early sixties more than the Beatles.I don't know what LP "Play with Fire" is on,at that time I was only buying singles.Aftermath was the first Album I bought.I think the Americans got different albums too,so it's a bit confusing.(to me anyway)
Keep up the good work Floydy.Music is more important than all that political bollox,not enough people realize that.
Yep there was something magical about the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones era. "Play with Fire" is credited to the whole band (inc Jones) but recorded late one night by Jagger, Richards only with a huge helping hand from Phil Spector.
Interestingly, it now appears that the A side, "The Last Time" guitar riff was composed and played by Jones.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 06:01 PM

San Francisco ... timeless, yet essentially late 60s, classic.

Simply Red ... I liked their first couple of albums, a good band, But they lost it and I lost interest in them with Stars. It made them/him megabucks tho.

Joe Jackson ... I feel I ought to know more about him and his material. I was a huge Elvis Costello fan and Jackson appealed to that type. I guess I was busy with other things.

Ian Dury ... a national treasure, perhaps due to his originality. I'm sure there's more to come.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They would all be on my list too apart from Simply Red, never been a fan although I do appreciate that he has a good voice.

As you say, this really sums up the Hippy era and having been there I can appreciate that song even more now.

Superb song with poignant words. I like most of his songs anyway.

lots of Afros around at that time (like now really). You mentioned Tavares who had some massive hits in the 70's - More than a woman, Don't take away the music and my favourite - Whodunit?

Jack in the box is a nice song - I can't think of any other hits from them.

Ian Dury - legend!
Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yep there was something magical about the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones era. "Play with Fire" is credited to the whole band (inc Jones) but recorded late one night by Jagger, Richards only with a huge helping hand from Phil Spector.
Interestingly, it now appears that the A side, "The Last Time" guitar riff was composed and played by Jones.
San Francisco ... timeless, yet essentially late 60s, classic.

Simply Red ... I liked their first couple of albums, a good band, But they lost it and I lost interest in them with Stars. It made them/him megabucks tho.

Joe Jackson ... I feel I ought to know more about him and his material. I was a huge Elvis Costello fan and Jackson appealed to that type. I guess I was busy with other things.

Ian Dury ... a national treasure, perhaps due to his originality. I'm sure there's more to come.
This is great, I'm really enjoying the music banter and it's good to learn new facts, especially about the Stones

LD, you need to listen to Joe Jackson' He's a very diverse artist. Do you remember the 'Jumpin' Jive' album of jazz-swing stuff he did early on? My favourite albums are Night & Day and Body & Soul, both early 80's but he's done many more good ones since.
Ian Dury, Tavares, Joe Jackson and of course The Rolling Stones will all be seen again at some stage.

Because you're all so into this, I'm preparing a few more to sling on a few minutes time
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-10-2019, 06:47 PM

A rather exciting bunch of songs here lads…

No.950-Fade To Grey-Visage-1980
Sent virtually directly from the remains of David Bowie’s Ashes To Ashes video (in sight and sound), nightclub owner Steve Strange’s yuppie pre-LGBT band Visage with their debut single. I couldn’t find the original video but this will do:

No.949-Roll With It-Oasis-1995
From the monster smash album ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory’, the third single and my second-favourite from that release. Beat famously to No.1 by Blur’s nursery rhyme ‘Country House’. Pop battles have never been the same again.

No.948-D.K. 50/80-John Otway & Wild Willie Barrett-1980
Wild and Wacky duo (John Otway particularly so) with their 100mph breakneck ditty about…God knows what? Love the feel of this near-hit and its double-vocal methods. One hell of a strange single, I once saw John Otway climb to the top of an 18ft ladder and jump off it flat on his face just because he could! He’s made of rubber that man.
I don’t believe there ever was a video made of this single, the sound of it is probably only achievable in the studio, it’s such an odd song.

No.947-Skin Deep-The Passions-1981
Follow-up single to their excellent hit “I’m In Love With A German Film Star”. Due to it being an instrumental and despite being very catchy, it was their last hit. Sorry, again no video available.

No.946-XOYO-The Passage-1982
The passage were a post-punk/new-wave band who were always slightly under the radar. It’s a shame because they had a great run of singles though none would see the charts. This is a great track about the difference between males and females chromosomes! This should have been a huge hit single.

No.945-Tonight-Zaine Griff-1980
New Zealander Griff with his biggest release from the album Ashes And Diamonds. A high energy slice of pure new-wave electro-rock.

Tomorrow, a pop rocker who once shared a band with Elaine Bookbinder…
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This is true mate and those two added so much to the forum. They loved their music and we had some wonderful discussions.
I think we should dedicate this thread to them.
What a lovely idea, Floydy!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What a lovely idea, Floydy!
Yes Tabby, it's just a shame they can't be part of it this time.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 10:57 PM

According to wiki Spector played a" detuned electric rhythm guitar".do you know what that means?

San Francisco is a nice tune,I wonder how many of those hippys of the past are now Republicans who support Trump

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top