Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Re: Aldi or Lidl

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I have an Aldi a short walk from this rental, with a Lidl a few minutes drive away in the retail park. I would and do shop in either store, and I too can’t understand this snobbery! I’ve also shopped in every supermarket going, but draw the line at the expensive Waitrose. And M&S.

(And I love B&M and Home Bargains.)
I could have writtten that Jazzi .
smile
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 08:12 AM

Home Bargains are excellent but they don't have the range of groceries for main food shopping. They are more of a general store for cut price goods similar to Poundstretcher.
B&M are okay for very basic DIY stuff.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 09:38 AM

I must add, that although l am not a big fan of Aldi and Lidl. I do like Home Bargains, B&M and Poundland.
When l lived in West Lancs, all the main shops, including, Home Bargains and B&M were just around the corner. Now, l would have to travel about 10 miles to the nearest one.
Also, shouldn’t we support our own supermarkets and maybe not EU supermarkets?

Regarding Waitrose, l find lots of their prices are sometimes, the same or cheaper than the other supermarkets. You get a free coffee or tea and if you spend £10 or over, you get a free newspaper. The Daily Telegraph is £2.
Nearly every month, they send me six vouchers for £4 off a £20 shop.
I love their block butter which at £1.60, is the same price as most supermarket own brands round here.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I have an Aldi a short walk from this rental, with a Lidl a few minutes drive away in the retail park. I would and do shop in either store, and I too can’t understand this snobbery! I’ve also shopped in every supermarket going, but draw the line at the expensive Waitrose. And M&S.

(And I love B&M and Home Bargains.)
I've never shopped at Waitrose but I love M & S. I don't shop there often because it's expensive but if money was no object I'd do all my shopping there, the food is lovely
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Regarding Waitrose, l find lots of their prices are sometimes, the same or cheaper than the other supermarkets. You get a free coffee or tea and if you spend £10 or over, you get a free newspaper. The Daily Telegraph is £2.
Nearly every month, they send me six vouchers for £4 off a £20 shop.
I love their block butter which at £1.60, is the same price as most supermarket own brands round here.
Booths used to offer similar benefits but have now restricted regular offers to free takeaway coffee, half-price drinks in the café, free weekend newspaper and variable discounts on loose tea, vegetables and "Afternoon Tea for Two". The company used to offer cashback, like Waitrose, but that was withdrawn some time ago.

Inevitably, Booths prices are higher than any other supermarket in the region but then the company's reputation was was built by offering the best products, not the cheapest.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Which do you prefer ?
smile
I have never heard of Lidl but Aldi I leave for the really poor people, I prefer Coles or Woolworths for my shopping.

Aldi don't have self service checkouts or express lanes, the cashier virtually flings your goods at you, you have to pack it yourself and they charge extra if you use a credit card (or at least they did when I last tried one).

Bugger that.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have never heard of Lidl but Aldi I leave for the really poor people, I prefer Coles or Woolworths for my shopping.

Aldi don't have self service checkouts or express lanes, the cashier virtually flings your goods at you, you have to pack it yourself and they charge extra if you use a credit card (or at least they did when I last tried one).

Bugger that.
Don't really get a choice in the local Sansbury's, etc.

You're expected to carry one of those fancy calculators round - and then you have to scan all into the tills and pack it yourself!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Which do you prefer ?
smile
I haven't shopped in either of them Apricot. Not because I dislike them but because I have my shopping delivered every week and have already paid for a 12 month delivery saver, so it is a choice of having someone put my groceries onto the kitchen table every week just for me to pack away, or going out to the shops in this cold weather. Brrrr!

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top