Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:30 PM

What made this happen?

We suddenly heard a loud noise, sounded to me like a ceramic pot in the oven had exploded, but no. It was the bathroom window. The internal glazing had shattered but the external is ok.

What would cause that? The glazing is about 12 years old, so not ancient.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170102_181303.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2519  
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:45 PM

Re: What made this happen?

This happened in a small window in our conservatory a few years ago, also friends have had the same with a narrow window in their porch this winter. Its quite common apparently. I looked it up on the internet at the time, here's a short description I found just now.

'And here's why double glazed sealed units implode:

This sometimes quite shocking occurrence of double glazed sealed units exploding most often happens in the U.K. between around late October, and early February, but mostly in late December - middle January.

When an inner pane in a sealed unit is the one to suffer breakage, this happens when the inner glass is warmed from the heating in the home, and the outer pane of a double glazed sealed unit is cold from a drop in outside temperatures. When an outer pane is the one to suffer breakage this happens when a cold outer pane is warmed quickly by the Sunlight bearing on it. The pane of glass subjected to the thermal stress cannot cope beyond a certain amount of deflection, and it will suddenly crack along the whole length of the unit, always along the long length, or it can suddenly shatter altogether.'
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Hi Wonda, if you go into " The Window Man " Website he tells you why it sometimes happens..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 09:19 PM

Gosh, how frightening. I have never heard of that before.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 10:02 PM

Wonda the same thing happened to my large sitting room window.
I was cooking in the kitchen and heard glass shatter, I am used to birds flying into the window and assumed it was a bird but my neighbour who was sitting in her garden said it just shattered nothing went into it.
Had it been a really hot day I would have considered it to be something to do with pressure inside the double glazing.

The man who came to put a new window in said it is a common occurrence but I hadn't heard of it . I was just grateful my small granddaughter and dog were with me in the kitchen when it happened .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Wow, I've never heard of that either! That IS worrying.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Couple of flats here had this happen it was quite worrying at the time but we were told to make a small hole in the rubber around the glass to relieve pressure and no one has had the problem since we all did that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Wow, I've never heard of that either! That IS worrying.

Yes, I think so too, Jazzi.
Imagine that going with a bang in the middle of the night, I'd think someone had broken in. Frighten the life out of me it would, and that's without all the broken glass in the dogs paws to worry about.

Does anyone know if it would be covered by our household insurance?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I think so too, Jazzi.
Imagining that going with a bang in the middle of the night, I'd think someone had broken in. Frighten the life out of me it would, and that's without all the broken glass in the dogs paws to worry about.

Does anyone know if it would be covered by our household insurance?
Mine was Mups . I depends on the insurance. mine covers 'fixed glass'
The window I lost was approx 70 x 170 cm double glazed and would have been very expensive if I had to pay myself.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2017, 10:23 PM

Bloomin' 'ec.... I've not heard of that happening either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top