Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Depression

This is well written and worth sharing.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Re: Depression

I have always believed that people with depression are strong individualls, probably too strong for their own good. You could be standing next to someone who is suicidal and have no idea, because they have become so good at covering up their feelings.

I do sometimes wonder at people who always seem happy, if it is another way of covering up something internal in the same way.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Hi Grouse, I think it's fair to say that I'm always reasonably happy but I'm not covering anything up, it's just the way I am - thankfully ! I really mean content rather than jovial.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 11:21 AM

That is really well written and from the heart of someone afflicted by it as opposed to someone who's only studied the condition. It's a horrible affliction to have and my heart goes out to all those who are touched by it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse ->
I have always believed that people with depression are strong individualls, probably too strong for their own good. You could be standing next to someone who is suicidal and have no idea, because they have become so good at covering up their feelings.

I do sometimes wonder at people who always seem happy, if it is another way of covering up something internal in the same way.
Spot on Grouse - I believe your statement to be very true...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Hello Akcent - welcome to the forum. For a lot of depressives, just getting out of bed is a real trial let alone physical exercise! Reading can also be very difficult - just as it is for patients in hospital who feel very unwell, reading can be hard to concentrate on if your mind keeps wandering. A very sad condition.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Music helps me - and of course this forum... I just look for the brighter side of things, laughter 'is' the best medicine....
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2013, 09:29 PM

I spent the last 3 years of my marriage on 11 different anti-depressants and finally gave up due to side effects. Turns out that once my abusive ex was out of my life (with a restraining order in place), I managed to get back on my feet and did much better as a single mom with 3 teens. Music helped, humour helped, having a cat and dog helped, spending time with certain friends helped. I spent less time with those who thought I should just shake it off, or that it was all in my mind.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2013, 10:26 PM

An old acquaintance had a husband who was abusive, oddly though it was him who was depressed.
He was mostly abusive after a drink, which he did frequently.
In those days - some 40 years ago - it wasn't talked about, though she did get sympathy from friends because of the abuse but nothing was ever said about his depression.
To cut a long story short, he hanged himself.
She was mortified, believing she was to blame .. a very tangled situation. How can you feel sorry for a man who beats his wife up while drunk?
How can you not feel sorry for a man with depression?

Sue, you should feel proud of yourself
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

03-05-2013, 12:53 AM

Janela, once I was open to talking about it I discovered just how prevalent depression is. I'm just happy being where I am now, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top