Join for free
Page 124 of 370 « First < 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 224 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Mups
Failing that, what about a sport's massage?
Polite cough!! I suggested that on page 120!

Ysee Mups, thats the trouble with men, they just dont listen
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Polite cough!! I suggested that on page 120!

Ysee Mups, thats the trouble with men, they just dont listen

Sorry Ruthio, I either hadn't read that, or in my senility, I had forgotten.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry Ruthio, I either hadn't read that, or in my senility, I had forgotten.
See, weve got the answers, just have to tie him down to make him listen!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
See, weve got the answers, just have to tie him down to make him listen!

Well if he don't, we could always pay him a visit.
You could do the massage while I sit on him, then I could jab him with my pain pen for good measure.
That'll teach him to ignore us!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Same with you, Mups Maybe Annie has it right. Maybe we should all take up yoga to stretch our weary bodies?

Me, I'll be back training again hopefully very soon when my neck feels a bit more flexible. No point in making things worse
Floydy I sympathise with you if you have a potential injury. I was so frustrated with my shoulder. You take your flexibility for granted and it's so hard when you lose it but if you're a really physical person. Unfortunately you have to slow down and let it heal or your body tells you to stick the exercise plan where the sun don't shine. But it's so annoying having to slow down and rest.

There are some really gentle yoga exercises that are good if you are having problems with the neck and shoulders. I found this online yoga helpful last year and I really like the style of the instructor :

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Floydy I sympathise with you if you have a potential injury. I was so frustrated with my shoulder. You take your flexibility for granted and it's so hard when you lose it but if you're a really physical person. Unfortunately you have to slow down and let it heal or your body tells you to stick the exercise plan where the sun don't shine. But it's so annoying having to slow down and rest.

There are some really gentle yoga exercises that are good if you are having problems with the neck and shoulders. I found this online yoga helpful last year and I really like the style of the instructor :

Thanks Annie.
I'll practice this instead of my training session today
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 05:40 AM

While we are cooking up plans to set OGF straight, there are some excellent suggestions here. I really like the yoga link, Annie. I am so pleased that you are coming back. How is your shoulder holding up in class? How is your balance having been away for some time? When my daughter and I did our first class this summer, it was all we could do not to giggle for the terrible display of balance we had our first class.

Floydy, it sounds like your neck gave you a gentle reminder not to up the weights quite yet. Low weights and reps for now. You are in great shape, so a little time to recover won't set you back too far.

FI notice that your pen is a Tens product. I haven't seen one before and appreciate the review. Tens machines are wonderful. I used one when having IT band issues and it really helped me relax the surrounding muscles. I wonder whether or not it will reach deep enough to help the piriformis.

Attached is a photo of my lifesavers for back, leg muscle, and piriformis sorenes. I use the ball similarly to Ruthio's cat stretch. I just lie on my stomach over the ball and then on my back for a couple of minutes at a time, allowing my back to stretch completely out. (Lying there board one night looking at the ceiling was how I first noticed the terrible installation of my recessed lighting, but that is for another thread .) It feels sooooo good to stretch my back over that big blob! The ball is great for abs exercises too.

The other is a foam roller, but it is different than most. It is very hard with firm teeth that works as a deep massager, especially helpful on my piriformis muscles. It is an excellent piece of equipment to have on hand. I am short for time tonight, but tomorrow will find some videos that show how to use the roller. It really works on getting deep into the muscle. I highly recommend it.

OGF, thanks for the movie review! More importantly it sounds like you are finding some answers in the benefits of rest. I just hope you will let yourself go easy.

Written in a hurry with a few hours of work ahead. I do hope everyone wakes up tomorrow with well-behaving muscles .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6247.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	5245

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 12:12 PM

Good morning everyone, Foxy is snowed in!.......
Thanks everyone for your advice on relieving my aching back, the one suggesting being restrained by Mups and Massaged by Ruthio is of particular interest....
Had I not been snowed in, I would be hurtling down the M1 even as we speak....

Unfortunately, there is a tendency among athletes (including old ones) to adopt a knee jerk reaction to an injury, and provide treatment too early, and thereby having the opposite effect by lengthening the recovery time. In our haste to return to normal we prod and poke, stretch and bend too early. The body is a marvellous thing, and will already be taking action to disable and repair the affected muscle by producing pain and inflammation. Natural reactions to injury. But the body needs time to heal. I was going to use a 'Scale of Ten' to describe the pain and it's progress, but the body heals in small increments each day, so a (Scale of fifty) would better describe the time frame required by the body to effect a decent repair. Only then, would it be the right time to restore flexibility to the Muscle with massage and stretching.

At the moment I'm thinking about 'Damage Limitation' because in just over a weeks time I will be starting my Caribbean holiday, so I'm being careful not to irritate my Piriformis any further, so I can hopefully have a pain free cruise. Providing the pain has greatly reduced, I expect to do some gentle swimming and sunbathing.....And I should be able to return home and once again feeling refreshed, jog along those country lanes sporting some beautiful bronzed legs....

Mups.....I have a very strong interest in the tens machine you describe and I will respond in a later post, but first I need to dig my vehicle out and visit Tesco for me dinner.....Catch you later...

Famous last words:- We don't get snow around here.......
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 02:01 PM

Good Morning, No Swimming for me this morning . it was non stop snow through the night. BUT......Fear Not, I got my exercise as I had to dig the blooming Land Rover out.
Roll on Spring and Roll Away Beast of the East...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 03:44 PM

Well, Roxy, they say that shoveling snow is one of the hardest workouts there is - so you have earned your dessert digging your Rover free. I know you mentioned that your live on the coast; do you swim in the sea when the water temperatures are higher?

What a lovely photo, OGF! Everyone seems to be enjoying their winter wonderlands today. How vast this world is when a few time zones away I was spring cleaning the boat house this morning with a pair of dolphins fishing just a few feet away. How cozy it must be to enjoy a warm cup fireside with such a heavenly view out the door!

OGF, yes, do please just take it easy with your cruise coming just around the corner. It might be a perfect way to force you into some relaxation and recovery. While they have tracks on most cruise ships these days, I am a fan or running the promenade decks where there are fewer people...but don't even think it . Hopefully you have some excursions that will afford you some enjoyable pain-free, light adventures.

Late night of astronomy work, now off to make a day of it with a late day run. Be careful, everyone, no slipping allowed .

Page 124 of 370 « First < 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 224 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top