Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 11:57 AM

Diabetes.

Sheila had to go to the doctor's this morning after having some blood tests 2 months ago. He told her that she is 'borderline' diabetic and gave her a diet sheet to read. She has a pretty good diet as it is. Could any of you offer advice to her ? The diet sheet makes no mention of eggs and she eats 2/3 in a week, are they OK to eat ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Re: Diabetes.

Borderline means she is in early stages so hopefully controlled with diet and perhaps something like Metformin. Diet will be be important as we are all different so finding the foods that dont push your blood sugar too high will be a case of trial and error. Hopefully she will be monitored at your local health center.

Plenty of forums out there Alan dedicated to diabetes, a search will soon provide options.

Im not the best to advise having lost toes last year, because i failed to keep track of my blood sugar.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:06 PM

Tell her not to worry and just carry on eating as normal.
The GP with probably prescribe Metformin as a first line treatment, safe, harmless and effective.
I have had type2 diabetes for many years now....I just eat my normal diet, take my medication and all is well !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Alan I guess that is type 2 diabetes ?

Tell Sheila not to be too worried it is such a common occurrence these days. I am sure if you ask at the doctors they can arrange for Sheils to speak to a dietitian.

Eggs are fine, even the scare about cholesterol has been disregarded by many doctors now.

The things to avoid are the same as for the rest of us really, added sugar and things which contain it including cakes, biscuits, alcohol. They are fine a the occasional treat.
Also keeping the weight down is a good idea so small portions but as many vegetables as possible also some fruit.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:17 PM

I was diagnosed with type 2 eating eggs was one of the changes I made so I gave up cereal for breakfast and started having eggs (2) each day. Made a huge difference and along with a few other changes I easily got it under control.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Hi Alan, yes Sheila can eat eggs no problem, the most important thing is eat plenty of fish, lean white meat, vegetables, watch out for some of the fruits, apple and pears are ok, but banana is a no go, and cut down on carbs, such as potatoes, pasta, rice.

Go to the website.

www.diabetes.co.uk

Susie x
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:39 PM

I was diagnosed borderline last year and put on a 140g carbs per day diet. I kept to this rigidly and lost a stone in weight but my blood test this year showed that my risk had increased! I'm waiting to see the nurse to see what to do next.
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Good link, Susie. This one goes straight to the LCHF diet which so many swear by and is worth investigating. My dil has lost well over four stone this year and is full of energy, it has made such a difference to her glucose levels to the extent that the doctor was telling her to eat more. Trouble is, she feels so much healthier having kicked the carbs that she is happy as she is.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-c...-fat-diet.html

And for the forum which discusses this:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/cate...diet-forum.18/
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Thanks folk for your advice. As I said, she has a pretty good diet anyway so she can only make minor adjustments. The doctor made no mention of medication so I presume that her condition doesn't warrant it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Thanks folk for your advice. As I said, she has a pretty good diet anyway so she can only make minor adjustments. The doctor made no mention of medication so I presume that her condition doesn't warrant it.
Alan...take no notice of these amateur dieticians on here ... she should continue to enjoy her pretty good diet, and do a bit of nice easy casual exercise.
I eat whatever and whenever I wish..no problems, no ill effects !

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top