Join for free
Page 439 of 1676 « First < 339 389 429 437 438 439 440 441 449 489 539 939 1439 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 09:06 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

R.I.P - Dolores O'Riordon

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well OK sweetie pie appropriate suggestions have cum in from others which country on my itinerary would you wish to know some things about - incidentally I think I missed out Thailand which is rather strange as my son lived there for 15 years and brought a Thai bride back!
The one with the best memories pleeeeeze
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Beer?
WHAT,pray,is this strange and unknown substance of which you speak,Fruity?
...and while I'm here - WHY do I keep being shown black rectangles that,apparently,contain moving images??? For none of them are anything more than black,immobile,silent squares.

Have I yet to understand and conquer this strange and vicarious thing known as 'the internet forum'?
Oh, it's just coloured 95% water and a few other bobs and bits in it. Well, there are other names for the cloudy, floaty, lumpy bits in some brews.

Now then, this yoochoob malarkey. I can post links but I cannot post the big picture jobby. I can on other fora, but not here. I have know-eye-dear why. Frankly I can't be bottomed to work I out.

As for that there mathematicals, I'm not too bad at it, even the long division or multliplication stuff, as long as it is writ down. I cannot for the life of me do it in my head, not even the simple stuff.
Oh well, there are much more important things to do, like drink 95% coloured water with bits in it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 04:57 PM

Interesting little clip here Fruity.
“The invention of bread and beer has been argued to be responsible for humanity's ability to develop technology and build civilization.[5][6][7] The earliest chemically confirmed barley beer to date was discovered at Godin Tepe in the central Zagros Mountains of Iran, where fragments of a jug, from between 5400 and 5000 years ago was found to be coated with beerstone, a by-product of the brewing process.[8]
Beer may have been known in Neolithic Europe as far back as 5,000 years ago,[9] and was mainly brewed on a domestic scale” (wiki)

Acording to that beer is way up there with the wheel and the smelting of iron ore, is it any wonder most men have the highest respect for it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 05:13 PM

All my long distance travelling was done in my sleep, I’m not a good traveller in the flesh.
I stopped off in Thailand on the way home from Sydney and brought back a few nice ties, got a lovely laptop when I was in Lapland, if you like pot holing there are plenty of pot holes in Rhodes.
I didn’t like the birds in Turkey so we had a roast beef that Christmas if my memory serves me right.

My granny once said that if you told a lie and it wasn’t expected to be believed then it wasn’t a lie, like an ugly comedian would say on stage “On my way here today I met a beautiful blonde lady and she invited me back to her flat…” or a politician when he says you will be better off when you vote for him, only a fool would believe that, you are not expected to believe it but he’ll say it anyway in order to achieve his aims
She should never have said that while the brother and me were in earshot, as kids this opened up a whole new field of excuse composing for the pair of us.
“Why didn’t you pair clip the hedge before you went off swimming?”
“Well Nan when we said we would do it we didn’t expect you to believe it”
“You said you’d be in for your supper at 9 it’s 10 now”
“Ah well you were not expected to believe it”
On and on we went until she got so fed up with it that called us together and in a stern voice said “Listen here good me boyo’s, from now on a lie is a lie and that’s it, got it?’
We got it. It was a short lived but enjoyable episode in a boys life.
God rest her soul, she had the patience of Job, a truly remarkable woman, I never forget her.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
All my long distance travelling was done in my sleep, I’m not a good traveller in the flesh.
I stopped off in Thailand on the way home from Sydney and brought back a few nice ties, got a lovely laptop when I was in Lapland, if you like pot holing there are plenty of pot holes in Rhodes.
I didn’t like the birds in Turkey so we had a roast beef that Christmas if my memory serves me right.

My granny once said that if you told a lie and it wasn’t expected to be believed then it wasn’t a lie, like an ugly comedian would say on stage “On my way here today I met a beautiful blonde lady and she invited me back to her flat…” or a politician when he says you will be better off when you vote for him, only a fool would believe that, you are not expected to believe it but he’ll say it anyway in order to achieve his aims
She should never have said that while the brother and me were in earshot, as kids this opened up a whole new field of excuse composing for the pair of us.
“Why didn’t you pair clip the hedge before you went off swimming?”
“Well Nan when we said we would do it we didn’t expect you to believe it”
“You said you’d be in for your supper at 9 it’s 10 now”
“Ah well you were not expected to believe it”
On and on we went until she got so fed up with it that called us together and in a stern voice said “Listen here good me boyo’s, from now on a lie is a lie and that’s it, got it?’
We got it. It was a short lived but enjoyable episode in a boys life.
God rest her soul, she had the patience of Job, a truly remarkable woman, I never forget her.
There is a shop in a seaside town I sometimes visit called Proper Job. That's the name of the shop by the way, not the name of the town. It's a very apt name for a hardware shop in the West Country, where something good, or eggcellent, or done kreckly will earn you the accolade, Proper job!

I don't know if the shop owner is called Job, or is at all patient, or is even a patient (in or out), or if his first name is Proper (although he probably does have a proper name) but it is possible to purchase all sorts of things from his emporium from four candles to 'ose and peas.

Speaking of four candles, it is a traddition during a funeral service at Westminster Abbey for someone to follow the coffin carrying two lighted candles. When Ronnie Barker's service was had there, no words to the extra-ordinary were said, but his coffin was followed by people bearing four candles.
Proper Job!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 09:17 PM

I so love this thread

I have just returned home from visiting my BIL in Bedlam, a place that I have doubted my own sanity at times. It quite wears me out!
Charles Dickens birthplace was Pompey, also the birthplace of my twins. Just an hours drive from me, not that I ever get to see Pompey much, my BIL is quite err......
Oh never mind, I will return tomorrow when I have found all my marbles
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
The one with the best memories pleeeeeze
ah well that's easy the place you too would like to visit HK or Honkers as it is fondly known by the ex-pats. but when I resided there HK was still cheap - NOW expensive so take plenty of money. It blends the old with the new but again today it is harder to find the old - they are knocking it all down. I have plenty of movie film 8mm you understand - you know reels and threads etc which I could show you if i could only learn the technics of transfering it all to gluetube!

HK now is a bustling expensive city so I would hesitate to advise on a visit - in the late 70's early 80's taxis were cheap and I would oft jump on the Star Ferry for 40 cents to take me across to the island as I lived in Kowloon on the mainland - they now have an underground tunnel right under the harbour - an amazing fete of building and may have stopped the services of the ferries - that would be a shame.

If you have the time to wander off the beaten track in the sweaty humid weather you may still find remnants of old HK but do hurry it is fast disappearing in the mad craze to build build in concrete and steel.

yes if I were to head back there I would want to get out of the hustle and bustle of HK island and Kowloon and get a taxi out to the duck farms closer to the border with mainland China.

HK now would be a look a like of Singapore [and I always thought Singapore was sterile compared to HK] San Fransisco ; London; New York etc. get the idea - it always sounds exotic but is no longer. A short visit can be very frustrating - living there for 3 years gave time to explore - and they were the days when I worked;kids went to school and the wife stayed home and explored and came home with cheap shirts; dresses; and various bric a brac!

yes I am glad I experienced it before it threw away the old mistress!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

16-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Oh, gumbud thank-you that was lovely.
Transferring 8mm film? I will ask a friend, as I know he has done this - Leave it with me

I found this - Sorry it is so large
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

17-01-2018, 12:45 AM

that wasn't there when I was!!!

Page 439 of 1676 « First < 339 389 429 437 438 439 440 441 449 489 539 939 1439 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top