Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Immune system.

I am soon to have a steroid injection for a painful condition in my thigh. I've read somewhere that steroid injections weakens the immune system and this worries me a bit.

I have a vision of being laid up with flu and all sorts of other infections over the coming months.

Is there a way I can build up my immune system?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Re: Immune system.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I am soon to have a steroid injection for a painful condition in my thigh. I've read somewhere that steroid injections weakens the immune system and this worries me a bit.

I have a vision of being laid up with flu and all sorts of other infections over the coming months.

Carol darlin' stop panicking!!! - I had chemo-therapy and steroid tablets earlier this year - both of which totally destroys your immune system for a period. Providing you're not in the habit of visiting places where really nasty viruses are rife, you'll be fine!!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Yep of course. Eat lots of immune boosting foods, simple as.

Personally I would recommend blitzing an entire lemon (without the pips) but with all the pith and yellow skin, together with a couple of chunks of fresh ginger (about 1 inch cubes each) and a little hot water.

Put the resulting pale yellow milky liquid in a container in the fridge where it will keep for many days.

Use it like orange squash, a couple of cms of it in the bottom of a large mug, topped with hot water and a teaspoon of good honey to taste.

Drink daily, or morning and night.

You'll get a ton of Vit C plus a load of goodies from the pectin in the pulp and skins which will kill any bugs and bacteria.

I'd also eat plenty of kale and other leafy greens. Also plenty of fresh broad beans whilst they are still available as they contain Amygdalin, the substance found in lots of fruits that fights cancer (like in Apricot Kernels).

Eat bananas to boost potassium levels.

Eat fresh grapefruits in the morning for more Vit C and other goodies.

Cherries, raspberries, blueberries are "super" fruits packed with good stuff provided you can get them fresh.

With all the above it's crucial to get the real thing not substitutes e.g. grapefruit juice or tinned segments does not replace a real grapefruit.

Finally get outside and expose your skin to the sun for at least 10 mins every day. No stupid sun creams (big scam!).
The sun is life, quite literally and creates melanin in your skin and Vitamin D, vital to your immune system. At the least get your arms completely exposed. If it gets uncomfortable then move into shade. Favour the early morning sun over the hot midday sun etc.

Enjoy
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 10:30 PM

I am on steroid tablets permanently, had a steroid injection in my knee last month, had chemotherapy for eleven weeks and you worry about your immune system. I have never had flu (but do have the jabs), never get colds even when the family have them. I know my immune system is shot to pieces, but hey I am alive and kicking.

As for the recommendations of Realist, a joke!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 11:07 PM

Carol, be very careful of grapefruit if you happen to be on Statins.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 03:22 AM

Carol, my daughter was on them for a time in conjunction with chemotherapy t to knock down her immune system for a solid year. To my recollection, she never contracted a cold or virus, despite being in some very public places like hospitals, commercial airplanes, sporting arenas, etc.

I hope this treatment works - your condition sounds miserable. Good thoughts your way!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 05:19 AM

Hi

There is a balance to be had here Carol.

Long term pain also runs down your immune system and also ruins your quality of life.

Stress and worry can also affect your immune system.

When I had my serious injury and a series of operations, I was told I would not walk again.

The pain was horrendous in my leg, and steroid injections helped tremendously in reducing the pain so I could build up muscle strength again and learn to walk again with crutches , 3 years, then two sticks, then one then none.

It took 7 years of steroid injections, but well worth it.

Go for it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 07:31 AM

Thanks everybody. I will take all the advice offered on here.

Yes I will go ahead with the injection. If I want to get my life back I don't have a choice..
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by someoneorother
As for the recommendations of Realist, a joke!
Actually no, quite the contrary, his recommendations for immune system boosting are excellent.

But of course, as Mups says, if you're taking medication you must be aware of any contra-indications.

Did anyone mention washing hands thoroughly!!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Actually no, quite the contrary, his recommendations for immune system boosting are excellent.

But of course, as Mups says, if you're taking medication you must be aware of any contra-indications.

Did anyone mention washing hands thoroughly!!

I was referring to his mention of apricot kernels, (they contain cyanide), also the advice not to use sun creams, stating they are a scam. Let us hope he doesn't get melanonmas. Grapefruit too is a no no when taking many medications.

As for steroid injections, I have now had two for my knee problems, a complete waste of time, they haven't made a blind bit of difference. So I will just have to put up with the pain as I have refused replacement surgery.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top