Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 04:04 PM

Re: Immune system.

https://youtu.be/

Yesterday I purchased a jar of raw organic honey, a bag of lemons and a chunk of root ginger...watch this space
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:02 AM

Easy on the honey. Sadly most have high levels of pesticides
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:45 PM

I think there must have been some truth in my OP.

I had the steroid injection on Oct 13th and was pain free for 2 months. In December I started getting twinges of pain and now it's back as bad as it was to start with.

In the meantime I had a bad cold over Christmas but just when it was clearing up in the new year it started up again with a vengeance. It knocked me off my feel & I spent 5 days in bed, lost my appetite suffered aching bones, weakness - the lot. Now - 4 weeks later I'm still not recovered, I feel lifeless & have a hacking cough.

I can't help but wonder if it's because my immune system has been shot by the steroid injection...

I have never felt this ill for so long.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I think there must have been some truth in my OP.

I had the steroid injection on Oct 13th and was pain free for 2 months. In December I started getting twinges of pain and now it's back as bad as it was to start with.

In the meantime I had a bad cold over Christmas but just when it was clearing up in the new year it started up again with a vengeance. It knocked me off my feel & I spent 5 days in bed, lost my appetite suffered aching bones, weakness - the lot. Now - 4 weeks later I'm still not recovered, I feel lifeless & have a hacking cough.

I can't help but wonder if it's because my immune system has been shot by the steroid injection...

I have never felt this ill for so long.
Do us a favor? Please see your doc? You could have walking pneumonia.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Do us a favor? Please see your doc? You could have walking pneumonia.
I went to the doctor a week ago. She did blood pressure, listened to my chest etc & said all was ok.

I had a slightly raised temperature which she wasn't concerned about. She explained that when one has had a virus the cough can linger for weeks afterwards.

I wouldn't mind if it was just getting slightly better but it's not.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 12:26 AM

Carol, I am so sorry to hear you are still feeling under the weather. What you are describing is very common over here this winter and I have taken to calling it "not flu" since it's worse than a cold but not being diagnosed as flu.

As for steriods, they absolutely suppress the immune system. In fact, that is their purpose. My daughter was taking high doses for some months specifcally for the purpose of slowing her rampant and out of control immune system that was attacking her healthy brain and joint tissue.

In your case, the steroids were meant to calm the inflammation causing your pain - one of many immune system responses.

It makes one wonder whether or not it is better to high doses like the shot you had during a time of year in which bacteria and viruses are not so rampant, or for doctors to be more vocal about being more vulnerable to illness in the winter months.

Get well soon!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

31-01-2018, 12:40 AM

Thank you Surfermom.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I went to the doctor a week ago. She did blood pressure, listened to my chest etc & said all was ok.

I had a slightly raised temperature which she wasn't concerned about. She explained that when one has had a virus the cough can linger for weeks afterwards.

I wouldn't mind if it was just getting slightly better but it's not.
I've had that happen before. Cough, feeling bad, etc, lasting so long it feels like forever. I'm glad you checked out ok. I was concerned.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep of course. Eat lots of immune boosting foods, simple as.

Personally I would recommend blitzing an entire lemon (without the pips) but with all the pith and yellow skin, together with a couple of chunks of fresh ginger (about 1 inch cubes each) and a little hot water.

Put the resulting pale yellow milky liquid in a container in the fridge where it will keep for many days.

Use it like orange squash, a couple of cms of it in the bottom of a large mug, topped with hot water and a teaspoon of good honey to taste.

Drink daily, or morning and night.

You'll get a ton of Vit C plus a load of goodies from the pectin in the pulp and skins which will kill any bugs and bacteria.

I'd also eat plenty of kale and other leafy greens. Also plenty of fresh broad beans whilst they are still available as they contain Amygdalin, the substance found in lots of fruits that fights cancer (like in Apricot Kernels).

Eat bananas to boost potassium levels.

Eat fresh grapefruits in the morning for more Vit C and other goodies.

Cherries, raspberries, blueberries are "super" fruits packed with good stuff provided you can get them fresh.

With all the above it's crucial to get the real thing not substitutes e.g. grapefruit juice or tinned segments does not replace a real grapefruit.

Finally get outside and expose your skin to the sun for at least 10 mins every day. No stupid sun creams (big scam!).
The sun is life, quite literally and creates melanin in your skin and Vitamin D, vital to your immune system. At the least get your arms completely exposed. If it gets uncomfortable then move into shade. Favour the early morning sun over the hot midday sun etc.

Enjoy
Realist, this is an excellent post. I copied it. I am going to take your advice...this is a lot of valuable info.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top