Join for free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Divorce advice - handing over a marriage certificate.

Hi all.
Just looking for some info if possible.

My stepdaughter and her husband have unfortunately split up and he wants a divorce. My stepdaughter has given her ex a copy of their marriage certificate but his solicitor has said that they need the original to proceed further.
My s.d. is reluctant to part with the orig copy in case he is "up to something".

Does anyone know if the solicitor can continue with a copy? And would you think it is wise to not part with the original document?

Thanks folks☺
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Re: Divorce advice - handing over a marriage certificate.

Hi Floydy.... sorry to hear about your stepdaughter's marriage going belly up.

Don't worry. Most places want to see the 'real macoy' documents now, rather than a copy.

His solicitor will just take a photocopy for his files and give it back I would imagine. She should give it to her solicitor who will send it to his solicitor.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 07:27 PM

I had to give my original marriage certificate to the solicitor and I don't recall it ever being returned ... no problem as I have no need for it now.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 07:30 PM

both the above are correct,had to give mine over,photo copied and returned
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 07:31 PM

a solicitor will require the original in order to proceed. It will be returned but if your step daughter is reluctant she may take it to his office where they will photocopy the original and return it to her.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Hi Floydy , was it just a photo copy or a properly certified copy.
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate

..I have used this service a number of times including when applying for letters of administration . These copies are accepted for most things but best to check with the solicitor .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:33 PM

Thanks all, very helpful
I think my stepdaughter is trying to hold things up until she is ready to continue and I don't blame her. At the end of the day, a divorce is now the only outcome, so from my point of view the best way is to get the marriage certificate to the solicitor....but perhaps I would suggest she does this and not her ex.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Hi Floydy.... sorry to hear about your stepdaughter's marriage going belly up.

Don't worry. Most places want to see the 'real macoy' documents now, rather than a copy.

His solicitor will just take a photocopy for his files and give it back I would imagine. She should give it to her solicitor who will send it to his solicitor.

Good advice there, Pesta. Let her solicitor deal with it, just to play safe.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top