Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Re: multiple sclerosis

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Not sure I’m understanding your “not ill enough to qualify” comment.

The Department of Work & Pensions have certain criteria to claim disability benefits (Personal Independence Payment) and if you fail that criteria you're not entitled to benefit. There are some horrendous stories of people clearly disabled who have been refused benefit.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 05:26 PM

The OP hasn’t stated that PIP is what she meant ?
If a person isn’t able to work because of MS he/she ought to apply for ESA .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
You may be right, but I suspect it goes against you if your medical assessment concludes that you're not yet ill enough to qualify. Hence my comment regarding finding out where the goalposts lie. Better, I suspect, to wait until you're sure you'll qualify medically.
The OP hasn’t stated that PIP is what she meant ?
If a person isn’t able to work because of MS he/she ought to apply for ESA .

No, Zuleika darlin' but the piece I highlighted above does. I was a founder member of a neighbourhood Law Centre and frequently advised and represented claimants at interviews and appeal tribunal hearings.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Uncle Joe this is what Lindyloo said I'm told there are certain benefits or grants you can claim, but these are subject to medical reports............I'd like to know the medical state you need to be in to try and gauge if the benefit would be paid or not, AND to make sure the goalposts don't change in the future.
She seemed to shrug off the advice I gave about applying anyway.
I don't understand what she means by try to gauge if the benefit would be paid or not.
The type of benefit not given ?
Anyone applying for PIP has a difficult task in front of them ? But no one can gauge whether what they say in the application form will gain them benefit ? It's a wait and see thing ?
ESA is a different matter but there again it can't be guaranteed that you're going to get it ?Or that the goalposts aren't going to change.
What do you think ?
Benefits and Work is a good site to become a member of for advice but you have to pay to become a member .
You're Able site gives advice free .
Zuleika
North West UK

17-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Lindyloo , Yes that's what every claimant is having to face now .
You just have to get in there with a claim and face the assessor when they send for you with as much supporting evidence as you can then await the outcome .
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Ive only known 2 people with this,1 still gets around OK cares for herself etc, the other gave uo too soon ,has been confined
to bed for years, refused to fight it at start,just wanted to die,refused to see friends,has to be lifted to/from bed to chair & back to bed.Im sure you will be eligible for financial help
Zuleika
North West UK

17-01-2018, 08:34 PM

deylon with respect there are varying degrees of MS ,so that one might well be able to go out to work and have no really bad symptoms, while another can be as ill and immobile as one person you mentioned .
There is no fighting it . Are you getting MS mixed up with ME ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

17-01-2018, 09:44 PM

Uncle Joe this is what Lindyloo said I'm told there are certain benefits or grants you can claim, but these are subject to medical reports............I'd like to know the medical state you need to be in to try and gauge if the benefit would be paid or not, AND to make sure the goalposts don't change in the future.
She seemed to shrug off the advice I gave about applying anyway.
I don't understand what she means by try to gauge if the benefit would be paid or not.
The type of benefit not given ?
Anyone applying for PIP has a difficult task in front of them ? But no one can gauge whether what they say in the application form will gain them benefit ? It's a wait and see thing ?
ESA is a different matter but there again it can't be guaranteed that you're going to get it ?Or that the goalposts aren't going to change.
What do you think ?
Benefits and Work is a good site to become a member of for advice but you have to pay to become a member.

You're Able site gives advice free .

There were ex soldiers, injured by ieds and lost their lower limb., claimed pip, but because by then the soldier had had a prosthetic limb fitted, the DWP determined that he was no longer disabled.
Zuleika
North West UK

17-01-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
There were ex soldiers, injured by ieds and lost their lower limb., claimed pip, but because by then the soldier had had a prosthetic limb fitted, the DWP determined that he was no longer disabled.
Disgraceful isn't it that men and women who served their country are treated like this by a person sitting behind a desk pressing buttons according to how the claimant answers . Negative results to a claim based on what an assessor tells the DWP should be challenged with the help of sources experienced in this .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Ive only known 2 people with this,1 still gets around OK cares for herself etc, the other gave uo too soon ,has been confined
to bed for years, refused to fight it at start,just wanted to die,refused to see friends,has to be lifted to/from bed to chair & back to bed.Im sure you will be eligible for financial help
MS isn't something you can fight. The illness decides. Depression is one of the symptoms. My friend who died young lost his eyesight and ended up in a wheelchair early on. Then he was in a bed. He was a lovely guy, great sense of humour despite it. The other guy I know was struck down suddenly about 3 years ago. He is really depressed because it's aggressive progressive. He's angry at the world. Nobody wants their friends to see them helpless.

The lady I know with mild MS leads a full life but sometimes she falls over and hurts herself, sometimes she has to go to bed because she feels bad because of an attack. She carries on but we don't really know how bad she feels inside. She's truly inspirational. She does her best to manage it but it's a cruel illness. Her marriage is strong but her husband finds it tough. "mild" is misleading.

For sufferers it's the uncertainty that hurts the most. I really feel for anyone who has it. I wish so much that they could find a cure for such terrible conditions that take away your dignity.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top