Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 08:14 PM

Re: High Cost of Care Homes

Originally Posted by Azure ->
A career as a Carer in Switzerland is a sort after, well paid respected position.
Carers are licensed and registered by the Cantons [Local Municipal areas.]
They would not dream of employing any foreigner who could not speak or write Swiss or Swiss German as all the training is written or verbal
Fees for Care Homes are met by Cantons and insurance
My Daughter living in Switzerland with husband and children is a registered Carer.
She is fluent in Swiss German and of course English and has Dual Nationality as well
She trained in a Care Home but chose to do Home visits. She now travelled up high Mountains to see her patients
None of the patients in the Care Homes had to sell their homes to meet the cost as the Swiss are heavily insured
She can stay two hours or more if necessary to each person
She does the following as well as an indebt report, daily to her superior of all her visits
Give medication and call the Doctor if any problems arise
Bathe, Wash Hair. Cut toe and fingernails.
Cook a light meal, Wash dishes, Hoover r, Iron clothes. Make and change beds.
Take patients for a walk do their shopping. Have a chat with them and cheer them up if they are feeling down.
Anything that is required. If a patient is very heavy and bedridden help is available for lifting
The training is ongoing an the last one was all about medication for the elderly and the contents of the medication. written and verbal
In contrast UK some Carers are so overworked they can only spare 15 minutes for each patient

This is disgraceful.

Home Nurses do a lot more.
That sounds more like it! Carers here cant even cut nails and Mum used to have to get a Woman in to do so called a Foot Health Practitioner (not a qualified chiropodist/Podiatrist) and pay her about £25.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
A career as a Carer in Switzerland is a sort after, well paid respected position.
Carers are licensed and registered by the Cantons [Local Municipal areas.]
They would not dream of employing any foreigner who could not speak or write Swiss or Swiss German as all the training is written or verbal
Fees for Care Homes are met by Cantons and insurance
My Daughter living in Switzerland with husband and children is a registered Carer.
She is fluent in Swiss German and of course English and has Dual Nationality as well
She trained in a Care Home but chose to do Home visits. She now travelled up high Mountains to see her patients
None of the patients in the Care Homes had to sell their homes to meet the cost as the Swiss are heavily insured
She can stay two hours or more if necessary to each person
She does the following as well as an indebt report, daily to her superior of all her visits
Give medication and call the Doctor if any problems arise
Bathe, Wash Hair. Cut toe and fingernails.
Cook a light meal, Wash dishes, Hoover r, Iron clothes. Make and change beds.
Take patients for a walk do their shopping. Have a chat with them and cheer them up if they are feeling down.
Anything that is required. If a patient is very heavy and bedridden help is available for lifting
The training is ongoing an the last one was all about medication for the elderly and the contents of the medication. written and verbal
In contrast UK some Carers are so overworked they can only spare 15 minutes for each patient

This is disgraceful.

Home Nurses do a lot more.
Britain needs to take a leaf out of the Swiss book, this sounds fabulous and just how it should be.

I actually left the care home I worked in as a carer because the residents were getting neglected due to always being short staffed and we weren't allowed to spend the time with the residents that they needed.

I brought the subject up many times in meetings but my voice always fell on deaf ears.

The carers were doing far too many domestic duties which had they employed domestics to do that job it would have freed up much more time so the carers could do what they signed up to do, actually 'care' for the residents! It used to really upset me. I stuck it out two years but I couldn't stay any longer, instead I chose to go self employed and I ended up taking care of a lady with dementia in her own home, that way, I could give her lots of care AND the attention she deserved.

Many, not all, care homes have greedy owners only interested in the money they make. The one I worked in was one of them. Had they employed enough staff and allowed us to spend quality time with the residents I would never have left, I loved my job, but I couldn't continue working there knowing the neglect that was going on.

While I was very sad to leave I did end up very happy caring for my lady, we had such fun together.

Elderly people need time and patience and should NEVER be rushed but in many care homes and homecare the carers just are not allowed the time.
It's very sad and very wrong.

By the way, I did write a very long letter outlining my grievances and my reasons for leaving and they didn't like it one bit. I can only hope they took some notice and made things better after I left, somehow, I doubt it.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 10:07 PM

I think UK governments treat the elderly as a nuisance, not with the respect they deserve.

Shameful.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
That sounds more like it! Carers here cant even cut nails and Mum used to have to get a Woman in to do so called a Foot Health Practitioner (not a qualified chiropodist/Podiatrist) and pay her about £25.
I do find that rather crazy, I must admit. Our Down's Syndrome son is in a wonderful care home, the staff are great and he is so happy. However, they are not permitted to cut his nails, so either I do them on the occasions I see him, or a nurse has to do it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 08:19 AM

Many old people are diabetic and fragile so better that a footcare professional does them .
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Many old people are diabetic and fragile so better that a footcare professional does them .
But many ARE NOT diabetic and still need their nails trimming. It is in their care notes whether or not they are diabetic.

I now do my Mum’s and save her £25 a time.

The NHS will not employ Footcare Or Foothealth Professionals only registered chiropodists or podiatrists. They are just ripping people off by pretending they are as qualified as trained professionals. They certainly should not be charing what fully qualified chiropodists are charging but many are.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

30-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Britain needs to take a leaf out of the Swiss book, this sounds fabulous and just how it should be.

I actually left the care home I worked in as a carer because the residents were getting neglected due to always being short staffed and we weren't allowed to spend the time with the residents that they needed.

I brought the subject up many times in meetings but my voice always fell on deaf ears.

The carers were doing far too many domestic duties which had they employed domestics to do that job it would have freed up much more time so the carers could do what they signed up to do, actually 'care' for the residents! It used to really upset me. I stuck it out two years but I couldn't stay any longer, instead I chose to go self employed and I ended up taking care of a lady with dementia in her own home, that way, I could give her lots of care AND the attention she deserved.

Many, not all, care homes have greedy owners only interested in the money they make. The one I worked in was one of them. Had they employed enough staff and allowed us to spend quality time with the residents I would never have left, I loved my job, but I couldn't continue working there knowing the neglect that was going on.

While I was very sad to leave I did end up very happy caring for my lady, we had such fun together.

Elderly people need time and patience and should NEVER be rushed but in many care homes and homecare the carers just are not allowed the time.
It's very sad and very wrong.

By the way, I did write a very long letter outlining my grievances and my reasons for leaving and they didn't like it one bit. I can only hope they took some notice and made things better after I left, somehow, I doubt it.
You sound very caring Lion Queen. the carers at my Mums current home are great too and above all, they listen and act on what relatives tell them.

There is a good book written by a whistleblower in a care home. It makes scary reading as to what went on. I will post details later as I just cant remember her name.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

30-06-2018, 10:22 AM

http://www.compassionincare.com/

here we are. Her name is Eileen Chubb and this gives all info on her cause and her book.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top